free website stats program 2002 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Ultra Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Ultra Classic

ocasey

I have 2002 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Ultra Classic .. i have a question about it. Is normal it to get hot when riding , it feel like its just gets hot very fast

thanks

I have 2002 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Ultra Classic .. i have a question about it. Is normal it to get hot when riding , it feel like its just gets hot very fast

thanks

Yes. I had that same problem when I first got my '03 FLHTCUI in '05. I very quickly added a Jagg low mount 10 row oil cooler with an oil filter adapter with the thermostat in it. I don't think the latter is required. Just the standard oil filter adapter. This dropped my oil temp by 15-20 degF.

They now offer an oil cooler set up with an integrated fan that is switched based on temp. This would be a consideration if you are doing a lot of stop and go riding in traffic.

I also suggest switching to a full synthetic 20W50 VTwin engine oil. That will help too.

Cheers,

TQ

I noticed mine gets hot if I have the idle up close to the 1K mark. Mine is a 99 with the M&M FI & have always had a problem with the idle dropping. I don't worry about the idle anymore & run it closer to the 600 rpm's area. Runs cooler & less vibs. Been running it that way the past 60K miles. Good luck

Toby

I noticed mine gets hot if I have the idle up close to the 1K mark. Mine is a 99 with the M&M FI & have always had a problem with the idle dropping. I don't worry about the idle anymore & run it closer to the 600 rpm's area. Runs cooler & less vibs. Been running it that way the past 60K miles. Good luck

Toby

T/C motors were designed to idle at 950 to 1050 RPM's. anything under that will cause a low oiling problem. This could cause bearing failure. Surprised it has lasted that many miles.

I have good oil pressure where it idles. I run the E.R.T springs. When I had it apart to do the cam bearings & go gear drive, it all looked like new. Oil pump bushing was perfect. Idling like that for at least 60K. A lot cooler on pavement when it is hot outside & a lot less vibration.

Toby

Back