free website stats program 2002 Dyna missfire | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 Dyna missfire

Glider has giving you along with Fin very good info, Have you checked the operation of your petcock? Checking for a vacuum leak is pretty easy, you can use a can of carb cleaner on the flanges be sure to check at the rubber boot where the carb is attached, you can also use a propane torch, turn the gas on (DO NOT LIGHT) if you have a leak the propane will get sucked in and your idle should go up

Intake leaks: went through 1.5 cans of carb cleaner checking. Initially the engine stumbled and died. Changed flanges, gaskets and seal, repeated spray and engine still died. Realized overspray was entering air cleaner. Blocked it and resprayed around flanges and carb to intake seal 'til they were drenched. No change. Therefore no intake leak. Checked MAP seal, seemed ok. What about the sensor?
Also tried propane gas around intake with no change in RPM.

Slide diaphragm: looks ok, how do you tell if it has a small imperfection/tear/hole? Even with 3+ reading glasses I can't find holes or tears.

Accelerator pump: Twisting throttle gives good squirt right down the throat horizontally. Even twisting slowly to avoid fuel squirt and it squirts out. Fast twist = larger squirt. Sound good?

Jets in tight right side up. I will check the needle again but pretty sure there are no markings on it at all.

What about vacuum line petcock to carb?
Or gas tank cap vent?
Or timing?

Disassembling carb again tomorrow to try things.

I'll let you know.

OK,

Needle has NCQB stamped in near the top. No other marks or symbols.

Slide diaphragm looks intact, no tears, holes or disintegration.

Accelerator pump works, no holes that I could see.

No intake leaks.

With 45 pilot and 190 main jets, 2 washers, 1050RPM idle and IMS out 3 turns the bike runs great. No surge, flat spots, hesitation or cough under light or heavy acceleration. Mileage is 44mpg. I can see no reason to run with this configuration since it works best. Without the washers it misses occasionally with either pilot jet and IMS combination whether the bike or atmosphere is cold or warm.

Are we there yet? :newsmile01:

I think you have found the best settings for you your bike and your carb and if I was you I would stay with it if it works well for you

Brian

Back