free website stats program 2001 Ultra Sprocket change? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 Ultra Sprocket change?

:p I am glad dolt jumped in here with his clear info, I was thinking the OP was wanting to change the engine sprocket

Thanks for the update and clearing everything up. I'm new to belt drive, so forgive the terminology. You're right, 200 RPM isn't worth the hassle. I may look at an overdrive transmission instead. On the other hand the bike is a joy to ride with the low gearing and high torque. I have a 2016 Dyna with a 103 high output, which doesn't have the torque of the Ultra, and I have to keep it spinning at higher revs.

Update

I talked to Andrews and 2 teeth upgrade at the engine will decrease RPM by 280 at 60MPH. No belt change needed as the wheel only has to move 1/4 inch. Halfway through the job now as I need to fix primary oil leaks anyway. If I ban just get the sprocket nut off now:small3d015: The compensator nut was a pig, but heat and an impact driver did the job. Will repost results when the job is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update

I talked to Andrews and 2 teeth upgrade at the engine will decrease RPM by 280 at 60MPH. No belt change needed as the wheel only has to move 1/4 inch. Halfway through the job now as I need to fix primary oil leaks anyway. If I ban just get the sprocket nut off now:small3d015: The compensator nut was a pig, but heat and an impact driver did the job. Will repost results when the job is done.

Let us know the final result regarding rpm reduction and whether or not the original belt can be retained. The 200 rpm reduction previously referred to was at 70mph; who cruises at 60mph anyway?:s Most cruise at 70-75 where the rpm reduction is less than 280rpms. You may be one of the lucky ones that doesn't need a new belt but you won't know that until you try to reinstall and tension the original belt. Most that I know that have done that conversion have required a longer belt. As a matter of fact, there is a kit that adds adjustment distance to the early swing arm for that very reason.

I know you finally got the pulleys off, so keep us posted and thanks for the update.:s

Original belt fitted. The rear wheel had to move forward 1/4 inch as per Andrews. The RPM drop was what they quoted. It will be interesting to see what I actually get when on the road. Will be another couple of weeks as I'm still waiting on paint work.

Thanks for keeping us updated. We all are looking forward to your assessment.

Finally got the bike out: I have about a 300 RPM drop at 70 MPH, which puts me at around 2800 RPM. No noticeable difference in 1st gear takeoff, but I seem to spend more time in 4th gear when just running around. Fuel consumption is slightly better, averaged 42 MPG on a 180 mile run today.

Thanks for the update. I run in 4th gear when running around and don't shift to 5th until I'm hitting between 65 or 70 mph. Anything lower your lugging the engine in my opinion.

Last edited:
Original belt fitted. The rear wheel had to move forward 1/4 inch as per Andrews. The RPM drop was what they quoted. It will be interesting to see what I actually get when on the road. Will be another couple of weeks as I'm still waiting on paint work.

Glad to hear the OEM belt worked; you are one of the lucky ones as many have found that two teeth requires a new belt.

Have you re-calibrated your speedo?

Last edited:
Not re-calibrated speedo yet. I will order the new unit soon. Speedo seems to be about 6 mph out at 70. Jeff, my experience also, but I fin d the motor doesn't bog down nearly as much with the modifications as it did when stock. Loads of torque with the flowed heads and Andrews cams.

Not re-calibrated speedo yet. I will order the new unit soon. Speedo seems to be about 6 mph out at 70.

Sounds about right. I expect you will see about 2850rpms at 70mph once corrected. With a 3.17 final drive ratio, you rpm/speeds will be very close to what they would be a 3.15 which I find perfect for these motors when performance has been upgraded. My old FL will cruise 75-80 all day long with plenty left for passing with a throttle roll on.

Back