free website stats program 2000 Sportster 1200 Tachometer Problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 Sportster 1200 Tachometer Problem

I would say yes if the ign. rotor is in the closed position. As the rotor rotates it opens or closes the 12Vdc thru the coil. There should be 2 wires(including the pink) on the coil where the pink is at. The second wire is coming from the Cam sensor plate in the gear cover. Disconnect both of those and your ground should disappear off the coil. Or you can rotate the motor a little and should do the same thing.
tourbox

I have an OEM tach if anyone wants it, I'd be willing to sell it. Somehow a spider got in it and made a small cob web. I'm sure with enough canned air, it can be carefully cleaned out. But it works and looks good. If you want to see a pic, PM me.

I just did a Dynatek 2ki install a few days ago on my Sportster, and I learned that the OEM tach uses the firing signal from the pink wire that is attached to the left side of the coil (assuming you are still stock dual fire). Which there happens to be a green tach lead on the 2ki, which I guess some people try to use on the coil as well, winding up frying the ignition!

The best thing to have is a S/M with the COLOR wiring diagram and a good multimeter. If everything checks out, then it's your tach.

Back