free website stats program 2000 Road King Engine light | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 Road King Engine light

patrick13

I have a 2000 Road King and the engine light come on occasionally but usually goes off within a minute or two. The longest it has stayed on was 10-15 minutes. This usually happens after 30 or so miles. Thoughts?

check your charging system? I had the same thing happen on my 2000 roadking and it was when the battery got low because charging system wasn't charging. How to check is listed here in the help section.

I have a 2000 Road King and the engine light come on occasionally but usually goes off within a minute or two. The longest it has stayed on was 10-15 minutes. This usually happens after 30 or so miles. Thoughts?

Completely stock engine / exhaust / any work done on the scoot at all lately?

Start with the simple things first. I would check at the battery first checking for grounds and clean and tight connections, moving next to charging test:s

Pretty much all stock with no work done on it in the last 1800 miles.
Connections seem fine. I will have the battery checked and keep you all posted. Thanks for helping me out .

You guys seem to be right on. I had the battery checked and it is good,but the alternator is not at 100%. Due to time and my limited wrench skill I am taking it to a shop before it leave me walking some day.

Thank you all for the help.

On my 2000 fxds, I had a similar problem, went thru two stators and 3 voltage regulators,,, Many batteries on that bike... Over 117,000 miles though

Something you might want to checked or get checked,,,

I have found where the "Stator electrical connection" between the stator and where it connects in-front of the motor,,, Inside the Rubber Boot,,,, That when changing oil and filter Some Time,,, It got Filled with oil....

You might check that plug,,, or have it checked to see if it is filled with the old oil.... That can't be good for the stator and May cause a future problem...

My stator started out by the light going on then later the SMELL of Burnt was detected... Taking off the Derby cover or the chain adjuster cover and WOW,,, Burnt smell Strong!

Now that was just mine,,, I do attribute the OIL in the Connectors(filled) as a possible problem but not sure.

Just another place to check.. Seemed ALL the 2000 TC models had the same type of Stator connector and Location was on the front of the motor,,, Where the Boot N Plug are Under the oil filter area an easy to get oil inside when normal service is done....

The stator cost about 250$ labor about 300$ and the voltage regulator about 125$ and 40$$ to install.... Giving you those figures just as Guide-Lines IF you need to get anything replaced by HD..

signed....BUBBIE

I agree with what Bubbie said and also did you notice any increase in vibration prior? With my 2000 roadking what was actually wrong was the rotor magnets had slipped around to one side. First thing I noticed was a sudden increase in vibration. Then a few days later trouble starting (battery run down). Then with help from testing procedures here thought it was stator. However upon stripping it apart to repair I found the magnet issue. So I replaced all 3 pcs, stator, regulator and rotor. Be fine for the last 40,000 kilometers.

Update:
After the kid at Battery's plus told the alternator was on it's last legs I took the bike to a shop(not HD dealer) So for $50 this is what I learned.
Battery and alternator both tested fine. Stator did have oil in it so it was rerouted to prevent that in the future and it showed a historic code of "56 Current 41 Ignition switch open/low"
That's all I know and it is still running fine. I am going to try to enjoy the fall season and see what comes up.

Thanks again for all the input. I am learning as I go and this site is super helpful for us non wrench types.

Back