free website stats program 2-way radios | Harley Davidson Forums

2-way radios

I was looking into buying 2-way radios for the wife and myself, rider to rider, i was cheching out the nady mrc x11. does anyone have a view on the nady? i understand about range but the wife will not be far or behind me. don't want to spend and arm and leg ......thanks

If your looking for something private ( lots of two way radios are not) you might want to check out BlueAnt headsets. I just bought two of them and they are bluetooth and work with your cell phone or as intercom. Bike to bike distance is 450 ft which is not a lot but they are crystal clear and no wires. They are $189. each list ( you need two) but I bought mine brand new on ebay for $120. each. Also, they are rechargable. Check out

BlueAnt Wireless North America - Bluetooth InterPhone motorbike helmet handsfree and intercom kit

The radio's like you are considering have a very short transmission/receive distance so if you were to get separated at a traffic light you would not be able to communicate. We have gone to CB's so at least we have 1-2 mile range and it has been invaluable in the city when we have been separated by traffic and one cannot pull over for a couple of blocks. I ride a Fat Boy and my companion an Ultra Classic (which came w/CB). After trying a different CB I put a J&M on with a helmetless headset (where we live we don't need helmets) plus we ride part of the year with a group mixed Wingers and HD's and all have radios so we can all keep in touch with each other as well as know in advance where the turns are. Think and investigate before spending a few hundred bucks.

The Blueant definately has a short distance and you would loose contact if separated by traffic so it might or might not work but as far as CB goes ( and I have an 08 Ultra Classic with CB and all the goodies) where I live you can't talk without getting stepped on or bled over by more powerful stations close by to you and they are noisy and just IMO leave a lot to be desired. I use my blueant for driver to passenger for the most part and if I was seriously going to have a need for Bike to Bike communications, I would probably go with a Chatterbox GMRS setup that is expensive, requires a license and would be clearer and more reliable than cb radio. However, as in most cases with cost being a factor, CB is probably the cheapest alternative and will do the job.

** This is based on my experience and I am an Amateur Radio Operator and tech and I have a lot of choices in frequencies to talk on:swoon**

Back