free website stats program 2-Days of Motorcycle Maintenance | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

2-Days of Motorcycle Maintenance

I may get raked over the coals, but (and please take this into consideration) I am not a mechanic. Instaed of the HD service Manual, I got thr Clymers Manual for Soft Tails. Any major problems with this manual?:D

It's not as good as the HD manual. You'll find out if you do a job that requires the manual and can't finish it.:s

I may get raked over the coals, but (and please take this into consideration) I am not a mechanic. Instaed of the HD service Manual, I got thr Clymers Manual for Soft Tails. Any major problems with this manual?:D

No problems with the Clymer I have ---- it fits great under the shorter table leg out in the shop to make sure my beverage of choice doesn't tip over!!! :D

I've been an auto mechanic most of my adult life, most of that time for dealers. I buy the factory manual for all my vehicles, including my HD's, the information in them is much more accurate, and they don't forget important steps usually.

I think that in relation to the cost of the Bike the factory manual is relatively cheap and even if you don't do much of the work yourself it's a good read

USMC,

My apologies!! I think Bud is right on the '07 and more recent bikes. In '06, HD debuted the redesigned system that included hydraulic tensioners. I am not sure of the wear problems experienced with those, and whether they need the same sort of vigilance as the spring loaded tensioners from prior years.

TQ
I have a '06 deluxe with about 20,000 miles, do I need to check my spring tensioners like previous years?

The 06 was the first year of the hydraulic tensioners BUT only in the dyna line that also received the 6 speed trans too. Others had the older configuration and should be checked starting at about 25K miles.

Got Clymer for about $24.

That's cheap enough, but you might think about getting the factory one too...maybe look up Gary on this site and buy the one on a disc. I think his has the electrical manual too.

Back