free website stats program 1999 Ultra w/M&M fuel injection grief | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 Ultra w/M&M fuel injection grief

Well I didn't work on the bike yesterday at all, took my grand daughter to the wolf reserve in Divide Co. Great day. But today I managed to get some work done. I pulled the codes, only thing in there is the TPS which is understandable. I have moved it to the extreme that the CEL came on. I did change the crank position sensor, it does run without flooding, but it seems to not want the rear cyl to run. At first I thought here we go again, it was just last year when I replaced the injectors due to the rear cyl injector leaking. But at that time it made no difference when I sprayed fuel into that part of the throttle body until I unplugged the injector, then it smoothed out. Now I can spray fuel on the rear section of the throttle body & it will smooth out & the injector is still plugged in, but other than that, it doesn't want to idle & it spits & sputters with some backfiring out the throttle body. Then I also noticed that the radio won't turn on, the light works, checked my grounds (since I just got done painting my inner fairing) and all other wires. To top it off, the fuel pressure adapter seems to be no longer available & since I have a full tank of fuel I decided to wait untill I feel like draining the tank so I can find a fitting.

Toby

y machinist is making an adapter for me so I can check the fuel pressure. It has a 8mm x 1.00 plug that you can pull out & put the adapter into. Hope I get it tomorrow so I can check it.

Toby

Remembered my fuel pressure gauge tonight. Did a test, 43psi, didn't change when reved up. I did dead head the fuel pump & it shot right up to 90. Did it while it was running & made no difference the way it ran. Pressure did not drop while sitting there with the key off. So no problems with the fuel pump or the lines inside the tank. Next step is to pull the tank to get to the wiring & possibly pull the injectors if the wiring is ok.

Toby

Got my noid light on the injector connector, flashing away like it is supposed to do. So the wiring should be ok. Went ahead & pulled the intake all the way out, I need to change the throttle cables out since they are fraying the plastic since I did the inner fairing. Also because & don't have a good set of snap ring pliers here at the house. Just put those injectors in this last year, good thing I still have the old ones & wrote bad on the bad one. I may send them in to get checked just because they are out & it would be a lot easier than putting them back in just to find out that the other one went bad sitting on my tool box at work. Maybe when I get the injectors out it will have a plugged screen (hope). We have had some great weather & wish it was running.

Toby

I posted on "my rear cylinder went dead" post since the two posts where very similar & didn't post on this one, I probably should have. Any way, mine was a bad injector but since the bike is down I figured that I might as well do more work on it while it is down. Got my new cables (clutch & throttle) on, pulled the cam chest to inspect the tensioners (looked like new @ 30,000 miles), welded my exhaust (it had a crack) & installed a new cam sensor. Just don't like the way the clutch cable is routed around the frame & have tried it in several different ways. I can't decide if it goes on the inner part of the frame, just past the brace & then to the outside of frame & then the inside of the crash bar & then up to the inner fairing. Right now I have it on the inner part of the frame but it looks like it is too close to the engine. I think sometimes I look at something & say to my self I can remember that, & then bam, I forget. Should have taken pictures. Then I noticed a puddle of brake fluid under my front tire. Will it ever end? Now I need to pull the inner fairing cap off to change the fork oil (have not done it since I have owned it so it is due). Still have not found the problem with the radio (which if it doesn't work, I can still ride). Hope to have it together soon so I can ride.

Toby

Good news, it is not my caliper that is leaking. Bad news is it is the front fork. Did get the Ultra running, it was the intake gaskets (rubber rings). I did not roll one but they were thinner than the originals, so I don't think they were getting pushed up against the head good enough. Took it out & rode it a little then took it back & changed the oil in the engine & trans & washed it. Poor thing has not had a bath for several months. Next project is the front seals in the forks & change out the fluid. Gonna ride tomorrow to work.

Toby

Last edited by a moderator:
Put about 50 miles on the bike today, started out a little rough but after about 3 miles it smoothed out & ran great. Will find out in the morning.

Toby

Back