free website stats program 1999 Fatboy Oil Leak EVO Engine | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 Fatboy Oil Leak EVO Engine

I thought I would use this thread instead of a new one......

My 98 Sportster 883 has developed a leak from what appears to be the rocker cover gasket, although the first sign of oil I can visually see is where the front frame mount bolts to the engine. I assume these are blind holes that could not leak oil?

Assuming it is the rocker cover gasket, do all covers need to be replaced and does this mean pulling out the rockers to do the lower cover?

Any help would be appreciated before I start!

Cheers.

I am looking at buying a 1999 Fatboy and it has a small oil leak up front. The leak looks like it is below the rocker box about mid way down. I understand that this is a common leak in EVO engines. How much trouble is it to replace the gasket? Does the engine have to be pulled to repair this problem or can it be done without engine removal? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had a 1995 FLHT for many years that I had to sell a few years ago. I've been missing my Harley ever since. Now I have the opportunity to buy the Fatboy at a bargin price, so I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say about this.

Thanks in advance!

Harold

Harold,

I have a '91 EVO that blew the rear head gasket after the base gasket had been leaking for a while. All that wallowing finally took its toll.

If your cash flow allows, you might consider a top end job. That would be pulling the heads and jugs and doing a valve job, honing cylinders and replacing rings. If the bucks are there, you might do jugs, heads, and pistons to a larger displacement, but that may not be of interest to you. Just the top end job will set you back a bit (ask your local dealer for a standard top end job price, and what that includes - should be what I said above).

If you have the time and ability, get the factory service manual and then knock a big chunk out of the cost by dissassembling, carrying the jugs and the heads to the dealer and asking them to do that stuff for you (tools you need don't make it worth it for just one bike). When you get the stuff back, take your time and reassemble by the book (yes, get the right torque wrenches - 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" drive click type!!). Not hard, just take it slow and one step at a time. It is very satisfying to turn the switch and push the button and have the engine roar to life after you have done the work!

TQ

Harley revised all the gaskets on the evos went to a cometic style and it solved much of the problems. As has been said already warm it up good before riding. If it's only the rocker boxes leaking you don't even need to pull the tank to repair them. Use Harley rocker gaskets(Rubber seals) as they fit much better than the aftermarket ones. make sure they are seated good before you tighten everything down or you'll be changing them again!:newsmile026:

Back