free website stats program 1993 flstc | Harley Davidson Forums

1993 flstc

azdigger

I bought my Heritage used and it now has 50,000 on it, is there any special
service I should do or things I should be keeping a look out for.
As it is right now there is no problems of any kind.
Thanks

I bought my Heritage used and it now has 50,000 on it, is there any special
service I should do or things I should be keeping a look out for.
As it is right now there is no problems of any kind.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase. I have a 94 FLSTC and If you haven't already done so you will need to purchase a manual for your year softail. I would change the engine oil, primary lub, and transmission fluid. At 50,000 miles if it hasn't already been done the fork oil will need to be changed. Check the tension on the primary chain and final drive belt. When you change the oil be sure to remove and clean the tapit screen. It would also be wise to check the tightness of the spokes and make sure the rims are free of rust. Have there been any modifications done to the engine, frame, or drive train? If the bike is handling OK you are probably good to go, but sooner or later you will need to have the head bearings checked.

HDDon gave some excellent points, and I just want to add one; change brake fluid - front & rear.
A clear piece of tubing over the bleeding nipple, other end into a plastic bottle. Open reservoir cover and bleed out the old fluid while keeping an eye on the level in the reservoir. I use a box wrench for the nipple, as it will hang in place while pumping the lever. You should pump 'til the reservoir is almost empty first, to avoid mixing the new & old too much. Just make sure you don't suck air into the plunger (adjust handlebars so reservoir is horizontal)...
Then you just keep bleeding until you see the new fluid in the tube (the HD fluid is purple & clear, your old will probably be brown & opaque).

Then, when your brakes are nice & firm, the trick to completely rid the (front) system of any air is to tighten a tie-wrap over the front lever holding it half-way in. Leave overnight, and all the tiny airbubbles that you'll never get rid of by normal bleeding will escape. Your brakes will now be as good as they ever can be...

Hello azdigger,
I replaced the inner (INA) camshaft bearing on my bike at 80,000km's and fitted an andrews EV27 cam at the same time.Well worth the effort. I would find out if it's already been done. If not, it's something to consider. I'm glad I did mine when I did. Can cause alot of damage if it goes south.
Cheers
brt650 :D

Thanks for the advice , it was totaly serviced at Mother Roads Harley in Kingman before I got it. The owner before me took real good care of it, even garage kept it when not riding.
This is my first Harley and I got it in Dec of last year , I just now have 1000 miles since I have owned it.
I am waiting for my manual to come in.
Again thanks for the tips.

Rick it sounds like your covered. If you have a dealer you trust that is a big plus. Fluid changes and keeping an eye on everything before you ride and your good to go.

I have a 98 Fatboy, everyone covered most of it. On the brakes order some speed bleeders ($15) when you replace the fluid makes bleeding them a snap. Also make sure the tires are OK (even if they have tread) make sure they haven't set for a long time. Also, I would strongly encourage you to get the wheel bearings replaced. They are NOT sealed bearings and are cheap to buy. You don't want them to lock up (ask me how I know).:s

Back