free website stats program 1993 FLSTC - Can't Find the Starter Relay | Harley Davidson Forums

1993 FLSTC - Can't Find the Starter Relay

Pacman76706

I have a 1994 Heritage Softail (FLSTC) with an Evo engine, and I experienced an issue where the starter began to engage while riding... that experience sucked, as it happened when 175 miles from home on vacation.

I checked with a few forums and HD people, and everyone said it is a problem with faulty relay or handlebar switch that got corroded. I ordered a replacement switch set and relay - I just replaced the old switches (which were corroded and nasty) and connected the battery... even with the center switch "off" and the handlebar switch "Off", the starter still engages.

I cannot locate the Starter Relay. It is not under the seat or in the headlight housing or anywhere else I can locate. I am trying to do as much work as I can on her, but this has me stumped.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

On my 92 softail it is on the rear fender extension it is a wee bit of a pest to get to but the fender extension is held in place by 4 bolts as I remember and by removing some and loosening some you can wiggle a hand in there but might be easier to remove the rear fender remove the top bolts and loosen the bottom ones and get in that way
The fender extension fills the space between the lower part of the fender and the bottom of the frame there is some breakers and other electrical fitted to it and fills the space to the rear of the oil tank

Brian

You may want to take a look at the starter solenoid also, if the contact disc is carbon tracked the starter can do the same as you described

Pull the small wire from the terminal on the starter solenoid.

If it is the solenoid, the bike will still crank when you turn on the ignition switch.

If it doesn`t crank, you know the fault is upstream, most likely the relay.

Follow the wire you just pulled off the solenoid...the relay is at the other end.

On my `89 the relay was originally located on the rear fender extension, but was relocated up next to the battery by a recall.

Back