free website stats program 1992 Heritage Softail Fuel Leaking | Harley Davidson Forums

1992 Heritage Softail Fuel Leaking

jbriddle

Hey all,

Last week I replaced my petcock on my 1992 Heritage Softail because even when the petcock was off there would be several drops per minute of gas overflowing from the carb. Once I replaced it the leaking stopped but today when I went to ride the bike I turned the fuel on and started the bike. I went to put my gear on and when I came back the overflow was pouring out gas onto the ground. I then shut off the gas at the petcock and the gas stops overflowing. What can this be and how can I fix it? I tried to run the bike with the petcock off and let the carb empty but when I turned the gas back on it leaks again. Pouring out of the overflow. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff

Your problem is not the petcock but the float needle valve in the float bowl of the carb
first you need to remove the float bowl nd the float push out the float hinge pin and remove the float and needle valve clean the needle valve seat and the tip of the needle valve reassemble and try again
if still overflowing you may need to replace the needle and or adjust the float height best to have a service manual handy for that

Brian

Brain's right about it being the carb, on a 92 you should be shutting off the fuel valve everytime you shut the engine down, but something is keeping the float needle from seating, I would also start the engine for 1 min then shut her off and pull the dip stick and smell for gas in the oil.

Hey all,

Last week I replaced my petcock on my 1992 Heritage Softail because even when the petcock was off there would be several drops per minute of gas overflowing from the carb. Once I replaced it the leaking stopped but today when I went to ride the bike I turned the fuel on and started the bike. I went to put my gear on and when I came back the overflow was pouring out gas onto the ground. I then shut off the gas at the petcock and the gas stops overflowing. What can this be and how can I fix it? I tried to run the bike with the petcock off and let the carb empty but when I turned the gas back on it leaks again. Pouring out of the overflow. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff

JBriddle, welcome to the HDTimeline forum and your first post. The problem you are having happens on all bikes (not necessarily HD VTwins) if the bike is stored with old gas without "winterizing" the bike by draining the floatbowl (gets rid of some of the rust & debris that settles down there) and putting Stabil or Sea Foam gas preservative in the tank. If your fuel smells like old paint varnish (from the float bowl drain plug) it is likely bad gas, rust and varnish build up in the needle seat area as Fin_676 suggested as your new fuel tank valve is working properly.

I have a 2005 sportster custom 1200 everything has been working fine until the other day I shut it off and did my shut down like always engine key and then gas when I went out later that day I noticed a small amount of fluid on the ground under the carb over flow tube. The only thing that has been different is the temp the last few days here. Was wondering if anyone can enlighten me on this. Thank you for any help

HD05XL008.gif

Here is a pic of your carb
#24 is a drain for the float bowl, you can see it from the left side of the bike looking between the cylinders
If you were riding with a full tank of gas and parked in a warm garage the gas may have expanded some and dripped out of the over flow tube
Thats all I got

Back