free website stats program 1991 Softail EVO Head Gasket Replacement -- Noob | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

1991 Softail EVO Head Gasket Replacement -- Noob

I do have a new problem. I think there's a new leak at top of the push rod assembly. Also, I hear a ticking (video to hopefully follow). Is this a push rod adjustment issue?

I do have a new problem. I think there's a new leak at top of the push rod assembly. Also, I hear a ticking (video to hopefully follow). Is this a push rod adjustment issue?

Couple of things to check quickly before you open up the pushrod covers to recheck the adjustment. First, make sure that the heat shield are tightly secured. Second, make sure you do not have an exhaust leak by feeling for a puff around the header pipe at the head (be careful - very hot). You can sometimes hear the leak by using something (and someone) to briefly cover the ends of the mufflers and while you listen/feel for an increase in the leak. Both of these things can make a tapping sound.

Also, check that the oil screen on the block just in front of the oil pump is completely clean so there is no restriction on the oil going to the lifters.

If neither of those are the culprit, then you will have to collapse the pushrod covers and go through the adjustments again. Remember, this has to be done cold!!! And if the pushrod covers are leaking oil, then you will probably have to replace the o-ring where the leak is.

Let us know.

Cheers,

TQ

Last edited:
Listened to the video several times and do not detect a loose pushrod; I thought I might have heard a loose pushrod when the camera zoomed in but the camera didn't stay there long enough for me to decide if it was a pushrod or an exhaust leak but am leaning toward exhaust leak, or as TQ pointed out a loose heat shield but I still like exhaust leak. Definitely did not hear the distinct tap that a loose pushrod will make; can't be missed.;)

I would agree with TQ on the leak. Replace the top pushrod o-ring that is leaking which is going to require collapsing the pushrod covers and the pushrod, so a readjustment will be required. Or, pull the pushrod from the top which will not require a readjustment and can be done "hot".; choose your poison.:cool:

I’m taking it in today to see if it’s a loose exhaust or push rod. The stud was seized so we drilled it out and rethreaded and put new bolt.

But NOW I’m having a lot of gas leak out of the overflow of the carb. Did I mess something up?

I’m taking it in today to see if it’s a loose exhaust or push rod. The stud was seized so we drilled it out and rethreaded and put new bolt.

But NOW I’m having a lot of gas leak out of the overflow of the carb. Did I mess something up?

That is probably just the float on the carb leaking. Could be the "needle" (fuel valve) not seating or maybe there is some trash keeping it open some. Since you probably have a valve at the tank, you can just get in the habit of shutting off the valve whenever you shutdown the engine. Otherwise, you will need to pull the carb, disassemble and rebuild it with a kit including new needle (fuel valve).

Cheers,

TQ

Last edited:
Take your carberutor bowl off and clean your bowl,float and needle with carberutor cleaner and see if it helps,but like TQuentin1 said you will have to rebuild the carb,especially if it's the original one to the bike.

Take your carberutor bowl off and clean your bowl,float and needle with carberutor cleaner,then turn your petcock make sure the gas is flowing then push-up on the float and see if the needle stops the flow of gas, hopefully it is just gummed up, but, like TQuentin1 said a rebuild might be added to the list. I hope this helps you for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
New problem. Bad vibration noise at high rev. Worse when slowing down in gear. For the life of me I can't find the source of the vibrations. Any ideas?

VID 1

VID 2

VID 3

I would start with your top motor mount and lower mounts. Also gas tank mounts. Anything you took off for the recent work you have done. Recheck it all.
tourbox

Make sure your spark plug wires are completely snapped on the plugs and in the coil(s). Also check to make sure the tips on the plugs are tight if they are removable.

Cheers,

TQ

I had leaking head and base gaskets on my 1999 Evo, so therefore, I had to do a full top end strip down, taking care marking parts, getting good advice here, and it stripped down easily and went back together well too!
even if the base gaskets were not leaking, once you remove the head you take off the torque, and I would have done both, even if it was just the heads.
I bought a full top end set of gaskets from ;-https://www.jamesgaskets.com/
guess its a month later now, so you are probably back on the road!

Back