free website stats program 1991 Evo base gaskets supply list | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

1991 Evo base gaskets supply list

And again, IMHO, I have to disagree with that statement.

For the vast majority of Harley riders, the Stage One is done to either cool the engine down or change the sound of the exhaust. In this case, a canned map or manual settings from a device like the Dobeck TFI is perfectly fine. The added cost of a dyno run is not necessary.

On the other hand, if the Stage One is being done to maximize performance, then a dyno run may be a justified expense. But most folks following this route don't stop at the Stage One and continue with upgraded cams, head work, etc.

Perhaps your statement was made from a strictly performance standpoint and I misunderstood it.
Well, I am not sure what qualifies you to speak for the "majority of Harley riders" but I would wager a six pack that better performance and/or mileage are also goals of those that choose to pay the "Harley tax" and upgrade to Stage I.

I have heard that same statement many times, i.e, XiEDs, canned maps, TFIs, DFOs, etc. make dyno time unneccessary. (BTW, the Dobeck TFI is the best of those choices IMHO). However, when someone making that statement finally decides to optimize their Stage I upgrade, purchases a more sophisticated fuel management system and puts the bike in the hands of a competent tuner; they are amazed at the difference. The bike runs even cooler, mileage often times increases and inevitabley, regardless of what map, TFI or whatever was in place before, a few foot pounds of torque are found and almost in every such event a couple of horsepower are picked up as well.

I understand that some may not see that the benefits of the additional expense of a more sophisticated fuel management system and dyno time justify the cost; no issues with that, a personal choice, just not one I understand.

Anyway, a lively discussion from different points of view is much better than an oil thread.:bigsmiley12:

Well, I am not sure what qualifies you to speak for the "majority of Harley riders" but I would wager a six pack that better performance and/or mileage are also goals of those that choose to pay the "Harley tax" and upgrade to Stage I.

How about several years and thousands of posts on this forum where I hear folks state exactly what I said?

I have heard that same statement many times, i.e, XiEDs, canned maps, TFIs, DFOs, etc. make dyno time unneccessary. (BTW, the Dobeck TFI is the best of those choices IMHO). However, when someone making that statement finally decides to optimize their Stage I upgrade, purchases a more sophisticated fuel management system and puts the bike in the hands of a competent tuner; they are amazed at the difference. The bike runs even cooler, mileage often times increases and inevitabley, regardless of what map, TFI or whatever was in place before, a few foot pounds of torque are found and almost in every such event a couple of horsepower are picked up as well.

I am not denying that any of that may be true but it's not NECESSARY as some have implied and a cost/benefit analysis is in order to decide if it's worth it in relation to your goals.

I understand that some may not see that the benefits of the additional expense of a more sophisticated fuel management system and dyno time justify the cost; no issues with that, a personal choice, just not one I understand.

Anyway, a lively discussion from different points of view is much better than an oil thread.:bigsmiley12:

I couldn't agree more! :)

================================================

There are about a million HOG members world wide and about a half million Harley riders will visit Sturgis this year; do you speak for them? I know, a technicality, but illustrative of why I commented on your claim to speak for the "vase majority of Harley riders". Had your comment been that you speak for the vast majority of the members of this forum, I would not have made the comment.

I never said more sophistitcated fuel mangement systems and dyno time were "necessary" to have a decent running bike in stock or Stage I configuration. However, both are necessary to optimize the performance and/or efficiency.

Not :boxing, just wanted to clear up those two points before moving on; maybe I can find an oil thread.:bigsmiley12:

Back