free website stats program 1989 FLHTC starting/loss of power when running | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1989 FLHTC starting/loss of power when running

Was just browsing some forum stuff and saw this thread. Was curious if you ever found out what was causing this? My '89 had all the same symptoms. Reading your post was ripping that stuff right outta my nightmare! lol... I replaced EVERYTHING from the battery, to a starter, to stator, wiring, plugs, new electrical controls, new starter switch, new headlight... I had a buddy wire a switch similar to the one you described. Same effect. I eventually had to let that bike go... not because of the electrical. Only thing I didn't get to replace, and I think it might have been "the one" was an electrical junction box located behind the headlight. If you pop out the headlight, there's an electrical junction box right behind it where pretty much all of the bike's electrical joins. I saw one side of it was burned black. A previous owner had spliced together a couple wires to get around the burned part. When we tapped at it, the voltage meter jumped back up to between 12 and 14. Most of the time, that meter on the bike never got above 10. Even with a new battery.
Did you find your phantom?

Was just browsing some forum stuff and saw this thread. Was curious if you ever found out what was causing this? My '89 had all the same symptoms. Reading your post was ripping that stuff right outta my nightmare! lol... I replaced EVERYTHING from the battery, to a starter, to stator, wiring, plugs, new electrical controls, new starter switch, new headlight... I had a buddy wire a switch similar to the one you described. Same effect. I eventually had to let that bike go... not because of the electrical. Only thing I didn't get to replace, and I think it might have been "the one" was an electrical junction box located behind the headlight. If you pop out the headlight, there's an electrical junction box right behind it where pretty much all of the bike's electrical joins. I saw one side of it was burned black. A previous owner had spliced together a couple wires to get around the burned part. When we tapped at it, the voltage meter jumped back up to between 12 and 14. Most of the time, that meter on the bike never got above 10. Even with a new battery.
Did you find your phantom?

You may want to start a new thread pertaining to your issue. The OP on this thread has not posted anything since July 2115.

Back