free website stats program 1985 ElectraGlide speedometer cable issues | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1985 ElectraGlide speedometer cable issues

85 Electra Glide........On the way to work this morning I heard something come off and noticed my speedo had quit working. Got to work and cable is hanging but still has the collar on the cable. It looked like the set screw holding the cable into the drive had come loose and the cable just popped out. But I noticed the cable only came to the end of the sheath and that when I slid it back into the speedo drive on the wheel and tightened the set screw I still had no speedo. I fooled with a wheel driven speedo years ago on a 76 Sporty but don't quite remember it well. Is something missing in the speedo drive (what does cable drive from)or did the cable just break off a little bit and that's why the cable only comes to the end of the sheath and collar. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The cable has broken off far enough back that it is not long enough to seat in the drive. Time for a new cable.

Yea...I thought as much...was hoping different but at least I don't have to yank the wheel. Thanks again and ride safe.

Yea...I thought as much...was hoping different but at least I don't have to yank the wheel. Thanks again and ride safe.
Jack...that's what lost me...there is nothing left up in the speedo drive. It didn't even look like there was a drive for the cable to be driven by.....but the cable breaking short seems completely reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jack........I took the speedo drive off and I am going to look at a new one because this one has nothing in it. Isn't there some kind of worm drive or something in there that the cable spins? Someone sent an address in this feed for a speedo drive....if you look at the drive......where the cable goes into the drive. On the drive itself is a collar....that collar is still on my cable. Could it be that the internal drive on the speedo drive is gone? Just curious and don't have anything to look at right this minute. Just wondering....thanks

Hey Jack........I took the speedo drive off and I am going to look at a new one because this one has nothing in it. Isn't there some kind of worm drive or something in there that the cable spins? Someone sent an address in this feed for a speedo drive....if you look at the drive......where the cable goes into the drive. On the drive itself is a collar....that collar is still on my cable. Could it be that the internal drive on the speedo drive is gone? Just curious and don't have anything to look at right this minute. Just wondering....thanks

Never had one apart, I would be guessing at best on the internals of the drive, tho it makes sense that there has to be a gear driving against the cable HMMMM

Wrenchin...thanks. I am saving that page, but I am actually talking about the speedo drive down on the wheel. It fell apart on me and I think the speedo drive lost its guts.....but I do thank you for the info!!!

Yea...that's what I thought. There is no worm drive...on the cable or in the speedo drive. The little setscrew you were talking about was still there...but the collar that it was holding in the drive was still on the cable. I put a screwdriver up into the drive and the is nothing for the cable to go back into....the worm gear is gone. What I don't understand is why it came out , other than the collar that is left on the cable held it in. local Harley shop having an open house tomorrow and gonna go look / buy a speedo drive......we will see then. Thanks for the advice.....trust me it all helps!!!

Back