free website stats program 1982 flt riders or similar | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1982 flt riders or similar

The information provided so far will be put to good use. She has 44K miles on her. I had the clutch and main checked out along with compression checks and all fluids were changed. Everything has been OK. I am planning to replace the rear shocks (13 inch) with newer shorter shocks to allow me to get closer to the ground. I am guessing front fork oil has not been changed in 7 years or so, so I need to do that. However, there have been no leaks showing up there (can't say that for the engine area).

Added:
by all fluids, I believe I have only two (other than the forks). Transmission and engine oil. The primary is lubricated by a line from the engine oil system. If memory serves me correctly that (transmission fluid) is changed/maintained near the oil pump. I had started to seal up the primary and have three distinct areas of lubrication, but backed away when I started finding more information about the compatability of my clutch and and main bearing with an "oil" bath that would have resulted from a sealed system. So I put it back the way god, I mean Harley, had envisioned it (well I am putting it back, along with replacing some oil lines under the seat (see another post in this section concerning how to re-install the oil tank).

Last edited by a moderator:
the oil bath system was the first thing to "go" when we got it up on the mechanic's stand. It was full of water, but suprisingly the chain was in good shape. Mechanic said you could add three or four hours to the work needed to change the rear tire and more if you accidently pulled the axle out too far. Now I would like to find a chain guard to reduce on spray from the chain onto my saddle bags.

Back