free website stats program 1976 shovel | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

1976 shovel

You know, thinking about this a little...I dont really think it's that uncommon for people to have Harleys for a long time without knowing much about them. There is a very large population of Harley owners that bought it thinking they would ride the heck out of it and they end up in the garage for whatever reason and they really never do much with it.

I think we are a rare group of people that want to know all we can about our bikes and enjoy the learning as a hobby as much as the riding. This is not the case with many many Harley owners.

I am finally picking the bike up next week I had some one check it out and she got a clean bill of health pics soon
WAP.gif

I just bought a 75 shovel for &4,000.00 It was my buddy's bike for 5 years. He only put about 500 miles on it. He knows "Nothing" about it as well. He bought it from his neighbor who had passed away last year. The bike has been sitting for 3 years. I also know "nothing" about Harley's period. I do know Ducati's, and Japanese bikes inside out, just never worked, rode, or owned a Harley. My point is, not knowing your bike is not all that uncommon. That's why I'm here, to learn. I bought it because I've always wanted one. I thought the price was right, so I bit.

Just my 2 cents.
Have it checked out if you can. BTW, my bike doesn't look as nice as this one does. Good luck....:s

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about the receipts, I had talked to him about his bike a bunch of times over the past 4 years, and he never really bragged about it, "oh yeah I have a harley, I expected it to be a junker until he opened his garage, my eyes fell out of my head when I saw the bike and car, he says he uses the car, I know his wife hates the bike, I think he got it to say I have a harley....

Any other suggestions beside receipts for when I go check the bike out in the daylight, I'm all ears.

He told me about the shop that rebuilt the motor, they are no longer around, but I had heard good things about them years back from what I recall.

When I pushed him on the motor work, he said "dave, I don't know much about this stuff, but I like chrome" if you get my drift.
Only a few thousand miles an a rebuild. Did he mean modifications or repairs? Just a thought.

Only a few thousand miles an a rebuild. Did he mean modifications or repairs? Just a thought.

top end with 4 plug heads the best I can get out of him....the bike is still for sale, I have had trouble biting the bullet on this one, its a nice bike but the economy is down, and I have 2 bikes already.....

The 4 plug heads were probably built by Branch or possibly S&S. they both did some really great head work back then and were able to develope a lot of power without having to do a lot of bottom-end work. The improvement was not cheap and most performance freaks went with an Andrews B cam for street use. The S&S carb just kinda confirms the bike being well done. Really looks good to. As for todays Harley owners they don't have a clue, and most don't want to.

The 4 plug heads were probably built by Branch or possibly S&S. they both did some really great head work back then and were able to develope a lot of power without having to do a lot of bottom-end work. The improvement was not cheap and most performance freaks went with an Andrews B cam for street use. The S&S carb just kinda confirms the bike being well done. Really looks good to. As for todays Harley owners they don't have a clue, and most don't want to.

The 4 plug heads was done to get the flame front of the spark around the domed pistons, IMO HD should have fixed this at the factory :s

Oh does that bring back memories...

andrews cams
branch heads
delkron cases
baker tranny
cycle shack mufflers
S&S carb
akront rims
mustang gas tank
triumph handlbars
continental tires
paughco or santee frame

Anyway, to get to the main topic...

That bike looks pretty good in the pics. Find out how many, if any, of the above goodies are in that old shovel. It might be a bargain. Going rates for old 4 speed kickers are going down because there are fewer people out there still alive and able bodied enough to ride that have an interest in them.

The first thing you need to find out is the title. Is it titled as an actual Harley? does the title match the frame number? What model is on the title? To be legal you only need to match the number on the frame with the number on the title. However, if the frame number is for an FXE but the bike is clearly an FL, that lowers the resale value...but does not make it illegal. Back then the frames were all the same for all big twins so you could buy an FL and turn it into a fat bob or a low rider no problem...or vice versa. but the resale value is a little bit less if it don't match.

Check the title. Check the frame number. Find out the extra GO-FAST goodies in the motor. Then you can get an idea what you should be paying.

Back