free website stats program 1973 FLH Electric Starter Issue | Harley Davidson Forums

1973 FLH Electric Starter Issue

densar5

My 1973 FLH electric starter continues cranking until I pull the negative cable off of the battery. I have searched the previous posts and found no solution to my problem. The battery has been tested and works fine. The solenoid has been tested on another bike and cranks just fine on it. The wiring is new and has been checked. The starter button wiring cable has been removed and checked for voltage. What can I check next?

Welcome to the forum!

Not sure on a '73 but does it or have you checked the starter relay? If the button is clean and makes and breaks properly, The solenoid is sticking or voltage is still being applied to the solenoid.

What Bodeen said sounds about right. Button or solenoid. You can pull the control wires off the solenoid and see if the cranking stops. If so, that's the issue, if not look at the starter button.

Bodeen and Sleddog have you covered here, the solenoid is getting a signal some how. Have you tried with the ignition on and jumper the solenoid yet?

You do have a starter relay. If still stock it should be mounted under your battery box. It is round about 1.5" in diameter.3 wires on it. One goes to the starter solenoid,ck. your colors.You will have to unscrew it off the lugs. Back then they didn't use the spade connectors.The above post pretty much have you covered. If your relay is bad you can convert it to the new type relay.
tourbox

Back