free website stats program 1963 Pan Head | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

1963 Pan Head

ther are many factors in making sure the searial numbers are correct , here are a few the first 2 numbers( 63 build year) but the six should have a staight back and not look like this 6 but it is ok if one of the last 4 digits have a round back six like this 6 , the number one always has a foot on the bottom like this1 and also the number four should have a foot at the bottom and a open top not closed like this 4 if the embosed area where the serial number is stamped is smooth and does not conform with the pitting like of the rest of the case RED FLAG , there are belly numbers on each case under the motor a 1963 build date case should start with (163) and it is ok to see a round back six like this 6 on the belly number,Soo you see you really need to look at these numbers with your eyes and get yourself familar with real Hd stampings so you can tell real from fake another thing if they are repop cases ther will be no belly numbers on that particular case but if it was done by a HD dealer there will be stampings of a replacement part on the case but I wont get to long winded here , what you have to relize is how many of these bike got stolen over the years and where parted out and I have personal knowledge of people having there bike confiscated and or returned to ther original owners ther have been guys who dump thousands in to a bike and loose it all or end up having to recoop the original owner.also red flags on salvage titled bikes title must be clean . there is a lot of homework that should be done when buying a vintage bike.

Never said was going to buy this bike this week.

Cool, come Monday I will give these guys a call and see what they have to say. What do you think about the price that I would offer?

Dont insult him, I would ask him what the bottom dollar is, I would guess 7K would be a good price, have you rode it yet?

Dont insult him, I would ask him what the bottom dollar is, I would guess 7K would be a good price, have you rode it yet?

7K would be max and it would need be something you really want

When I was talking to the guy, which is a dealer, he said that I would not insult him with any offer. I agree that 7k would be a good price, but I am willing to 8k at the max. Am I sure that I really want this bike, I do like it, but there is something going on with the frame that I need to check out first.

Here is a picture of the case numbers that are located on the left side of the case.

Attachments

• 63 pan Head Case numbers.jpg
    63 pan Head Case numbers.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 34
Johnny; According to my cop book, that is a good 1963 FL serial number, and the stamping is positioned correctly on the boss.

When I was talking to the guy, which is a dealer, he said that I would not insult him with any offer. I agree that 7k would be a good price, but I am willing to 8k at the max. Am I sure that I really want this bike, I do like it, but there is something going on with the frame that I need to check out first.

Here is a picture of the case numbers that are located on the left side of the case.

Those numbers are the real deal, good luck on your offer:s

Agree serial number conforms and odd/even secirity code conform and actual stamping stlye looks real HD, 63 FL handshift production 1096 units

I spoke to a place here in Minnesota bout this Pan Head, but when I called, they were not too comfortable with this so they referred me to another place in Minnesota. The verdict is that they strongly feel that the bottom frame has been altered for some reason, which I had thought in the first place because of the (EDIT) welding job.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back