free website stats program 1946 Panhead value? May trade for it tomorrow | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1946 Panhead value? May trade for it tomorrow

If your Corvette has matching numbers I would say it's value is considerably higher than the bike in question.I would not make an even trade.I would be asking the bike owner to throw in some cash.

Lot's of responses here. I appreciate the info.
It does raise some concerns. My Vette is matching numbers but has been rebuilt and customize quite a bit. It could be put back to stock with some work and money.

Here is the info I got from this guy so far.
He lives in Northern Oregon and I'm in Tacoma, WA so it is not like I can see the bike.
I have lots of pictures of it.

The pictures are not completely current,
there have been many upgrades since then,
braided lines up front,
dual coil,
electronic ignition,
new red plug wires,
chrome caliper up front,
new tires,
the engine is a completely rebuilt pan head from top to bottom,
the mileage on odometer is accurate for the engine,(under 1,700 miles)
I have a complete CD of pictures threw the build.
this is a STUNNING old school looking scooter that looks 10 times better in person, trust Me.

Last email was when I asked him if it was the Easyrider Jan 1993 issue:
Hi Jack,
Yes, that is the bike!
Less that knuckle head and a few other things.
I do have that original tank and air cooled oil bag that has the original paint!
I also have a CD that came from the guy who built the engine that shows it going together.
I will bring all that I have so everything goes and stays with the bike.

See you by noon, I will try to make it earlier if I can and I will text you when I'm leaving.

Mike.

OK. From your last post, you have the information you need to make some basic decisions. First, this bike is not a '46 classic anything. The original knuckle engine was changed out sometime after the '93 cover shot and replaced with a "panhead" looking engine. But all the original ignition system (if this was a HD OEM panhead to start with) has been replaced with electronic ignition.

The current owner does not claim this to be a classic bike in this statement "this is a STUNNING old school looking scooter that looks 10 times better in person, trust Me."

There are lots of bobber kits and retro classic kits that will give you a "STUNNING old school looking scooter" for around $20k all up including paint.

So you need to decide what your vette is worth, and what this bike might be worth TO YOU. It is not a classic bike in my opinion. It is a modified quasi-bobber which looks nice and has a bunch of retro looking features.

You might do a google search for Panhead or Knucklehead forums. Those guys deal with the old bikes almost exclusively, and will give you an opinion of a heavily modified bike that may have started as a Knucklehead and morphed into a KnucklePan++.

TQ

Last edited:
sorry if i am totally wrong here as i am in the uk ,but do your genuinely old vehicles not carry a "historic vehicle " licence plate ?

sorry if i am totally wrong here as i am in the uk ,but do your genuinely old vehicles not carry a "historic vehicle " licence plate ?

Laws vary state to state. In my State of GA, my '68 Harley gets a Horseless Carrage tag with out me asking. Price was very low also.

Well as usual I have to put my 2 cents in. Sometimes you gotta do what you feel is right. If you are willing to trade your Corvette for the bike and feel that is is a fair or good deal then you should do it. It is one thing to ask what people think, but you know what, sometimes that does not always work. As far as Corvettes, people can say what they want but there will always be a market for them, maybe not tons of money on everyone but they do sell, here is how I would look at it: if you really want a bike and can trade the car for one that is as nice as your car, you should go for it, it beats advertising your car and dealing with all the people that are "getting the money", and having to come up with money for a bike. But like I said, it is your choice, I love Corvettes, they are in my opinion one of the hottest cars out there. Good luck with your decision.

All I can say is that I would not trade that car for the bike..

No numbers included so please excuse me if you were looking for estimates, but that is one really really sweet ride.. I would not be able to let go of it after that much work has gone into anything.. Unless they offer me double the value.. Which I doubt this trade will constitute.. As Crocker said, if you do it, make sure all things fit the bill and you are not buying a lemon..

Good luck!

NOTE the panhead was not made until 1948 so if it's a 46 motor with a pan head top end not worth as much money what does the title say? the valule is haveing and matching motor and title since there where no frame numbers back then but then whats the corvette worth? just watch out i've seen alot of basket cases thrown togather
how original is the motor and bike??

Back