free website stats program 1200C rear brake | Harley Davidson Forums

1200C rear brake

I have a 2004 1200C and am having problems with the rear brake. Sometimes when I hit the brakes they work great, sometimes they work a little and sometimes they don't work at all. When they do work they are great. Any ideas?

Have you recently done anything to them? As in change the pads. They possibly need bleeding. Check your fluid level.
tourbox

When you say they don't work do you mean the pedal is firm or does the pedal go all the way down? sound like maybe the master is starting to go out.
Try bleeding the system.

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years or so for best braking efficiency however at 10 years old it may be time for a master cylinder rebuild

Brian

If you don't feel comfortable tearing the brake system apart and re-building...take it in for service. Rear brake function isn't something you want to mess with...it's 70% of your stopping power (at least, depending on how you brake).

bamafan36567

Sounds like you should bleed the system first, you can get a vacuum bleeder for ~ $20, you may have to go somewhere else besides Robertsdale though to get one. I bought mine at Harbor Freight in Mobile. It is a very easy process just make sure to bike is vertical, prop up with a piece of wood under the jiffy stand and make sure you replenish the fluid as you bleed the system. If that doesn't work you may have to go into the caliper or master cylinder, and as Iceman suggested if you are not adept at this then take it into the shop. There is a bike shop on 59 between Loxley and Robertsdale I have not used them but have heard good things. Good luck!

Oh yea...roll tide!!

If you don't feel comfortable tearing the brake system apart and re-building...take it in for service. Rear brake function isn't something you want to mess with...it's 70% of your stopping power (at least, depending on how you brake).

Rear brakes provide 70% of a motorcycles stopping power? Not according to the laws of physics. The FRONT brake provides 60-80% of the stopping power available (depending on road surface) due to the weight transfer onto the front wheel during braking.

Just do the brakes. New pads, fluid change, inspect the cylinders & calipers
WAP.gif

Is there ANY possibility that someone may have added the incorrect grade of brake fluid into the system? DOT4 and DOT5 are NOT compatable. You can screw around rebuilding the master cylinder or you can just replace the thing. They're not that expensive. Just changed one on a friend's 05 1200C. Check the bolts on the rear caliper too. On my friend's, the front bolt and the rubber boot had backed completely out and was lost. Blue Loc-tite is your friend. I am assuming there are no apparent leaks.

Back