free website stats program 1200 XLN Engine/Air/Fuel ISSUE HELP!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1200 XLN Engine/Air/Fuel ISSUE HELP!!!

Could you explain this a bit better? No filter? Are you referring to a stage 1 upgrade?

Ummm I guess so... It used to hav a screaming eagle air filter on it but because I'm so short my knee kept hitting so we put an air breather on it because it was smaller... Did that help at all?
WAP.gif

I do believe it to be running Too LEAN...

Cold weather temperatures will SHOW Lean Problems....

If you Don't have a fueler installed and the bike has exhaust and air cleaner changed to allow better breathing, (Stage one),,, You Need a TFI of a Gen3 to increase a little fuel to UN-LEAN the bike...

There are other fuelers out there but the Dobecks TFI or Gen3 will do a great job and the price is right.. Dobecks gives our members a 50$ discount and free shipping.... Can't beat that...

I run a carb 06 sport R 1200 and do understand what I say when I think You have a LEAN condition and running too low in the RPM range MAY be IT and along with a lean condition..

Like glider mentioned.. SHIFT Down a gear or even Two to see IF that Helps out... Idling a motor in third gear Will cause the condition you are having.. Make sure it is revving enough to FEEL good when you twist the throttle and not popping or sluggish...

If not,,,,, you are also probably too lean... A Hick-up means too lean and usually shows up in Cold temperatures...

Also you say it was JUST modified to a stage one??? Stage One NEEDS more fuel to make up for the lesser fuel by opening up the air/exhaust on your bike..

When it was Stock on the air and exhaust, it probably was still too lean BUT,,, Did it run good???...

If it ran good before the conversion, IT Has to be Too Lean Now...

Right off the show room floor,,,HD has to play ball with the EPA and that = TOO LEAN...

signed....BUBBIE

Like glider mentioned.. SHIFT Down a gear or even Two to see IF that Helps out... Idling a motor in third gear Will cause the condition you are having.. Make sure it is revving enough to FEEL good when you twist the throttle and not popping or sluggish...

signed....BUBBIE

I wouldn't suggest shifting down more than one gear, it could cause an over speed and effect control of the bike.

I wouldn't suggest shifting down more than one gear, it could cause an over speed and effect control of the bike.

The reason I said Two gears is I Don't know if just one was enough... Trying ONE gear then if it is Slow on RPM,,,, THEN maybe Two is needed...:D

signed....BUBBIE

Added: not suggesting to Blow It Up:s

Downshifting 2 gears could prove to be an enlightening experiencing when the rear wheel gets squirrely resulting from an engine braking result.:s

Like the others have said, chugging when in 3rd gear may be due to the fact you are having troubles shifting when decelerating or "dropping" the clutch lever because the freeplay is not adjusted right or your reach to the lever or span is not right. Being in the "wrong" gear is not always the fault of the rider but part of the setup of the bike, or telling you service may be required or if change happened immediately after service, something was not done right.:newsmile098:

May want to go over the clutch adjustment "Glider style" in the Self Help section and add an EZ shift mod to the clutch actuator behind the derby cover. The cable actuated clutch by todays standards maybe "primitive" but the feel is MUCH better than newer hydraulic clutch technology on "fancier" newer metric bikes. May also want to make sure the tranny fluid is not overfilled, can also contribute to poor shifting. Proper adjustment of controls and pedals are important to be fitted to the rider, especially if new to the bike. :D

Back