free website stats program '11 883 Iron | Harley Davidson Forums

'11 883 Iron

juicyiron

Hi,

new girl here. Getting a '11 Iron next week. Was riding CBR600RR before. I already want to replace the stock mufflers with Vance and Hines and probably paint my new baby. Any advice on this model? Thanks

Welcome Juicyiron to the HDTimeline forum. Have to say I envy you, as I am looking at that bike for my gal too. Stay awhile and post up your riding experiences as you roll up the miles. Since it is a new model, no advice really except you are lucky to get the newest version of the 883. It has most all the bells and whistles that Harley has been folding into their bikes over the years for low maintenance and high performance. A new one unique to this model is the wheels and tires are all new, 18" & 17" wheels and radial tires which will make for a much better handling bike. Personally, I would get familiar with the bike and not "jump" into all the changes until you have a few 1000 miles. This is because tastes change and while it is true the EPA "muted" sound and rather "stuffy" exhaust saps maybe 7 HP, you will not notice it in practice as you are having too much fun with that smile and wind in your face.:D

Sportsters are very dependable machines. Stop light to stop light they will beat a Big Twin. The only problem I see with the newer Sportster line is the lack of a trap door on the tranny:s

Nice bike - keep an eye on the odometer for gas (small tank), but I'd take one for a spin anytime. Welcome to the forum & congrats on taking the dive into HD land.

Oh Ice...not to worry...! Another feature unique to the newest 883 Low 4.2 gal tank, specially "sculpted" for the 883 to make it's lines look low profile (I remember saying they should have utilized the tunnel better so they could have hi capacity tank and still "look" good)! Fooled even your eagle eyes...!:D

Good to know - I thought they had the 3.3 tank. Gotta do some more homework ;)

I know I'll add one of the Sportsters to my stable someday & the Iron's a top candidate. With the larger tank - it just jumped a notch.

Mine is a 2010 sportster 48 and it only has a 2.1 gal tank i believe. I love it but it does get annoying when the fuel light pops on only after around 70 miles but the small tank does look sweet

Congratulations on the new bike and welcome to the H.D. family.The only advice I would have is to get completely used to the new Harley before hard cornering. It will not be like your old bike. Guess how I know........

Welcome & congrats on the new bike. Can't wait to see the new ride. NewHD74Fan has given you some great advice. Ride it for a bit as your tastes may change; that could save you some $$ in the long run. :s

Back