free website stats program 10k 12.5 k service | Harley Davidson Forums

10k 12.5 k service

on mny black road king i'm wondering if there is anything else in addition to what is listed that i should be concerned about or that i should double or triple check on my 2002 road king classic.

any advice or experiences would be helpful.

also, at 12k is it a good time to go synth or stay will conventional? is there a real disadvantage to conventional? i always used it in my audi, not so with the grand cherokee because its not recommended, but the road king... not sure. it seems it depends on who you ask.

thanks.

Go with:
  • a FULL synthetic vTwin 20W50 engine oil in the engine,
  • a FULL synthetic GL-5 rated 75W90 - 75W140 (depending on ambient temp.) gear lube in the tranny,
  • a fit-for-purpose wet clutch chaincase fluid like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary in the primary

For the maintenance:

• open up the nose cone (cam cover) and inspect the tensioner shoes. Get a cheap dental mirror to look at the one behind the plate. If fund permit, up-grade to the roller chain conversion. See here:

TQs Engine Build

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

Roller-chain Conversion - Harley Davidson Community

More maintenance:
  • Open up the inspection plate on the primary cover (good way to add the fluid anyway) and inspect the chain tension and condition of the shoe.
  • Adjust the clutch
  • Lube all the cables (clutch and throttle)
  • Inspect brake pads
  • Flush and bleed the brake systems
  • Lube the head bearings
  • Change the fork oil
  • Inspect tires all the way around
TQ

wow, thanks TQuentin1

really helpful. i know what to ask for and what to look for and makee sure its being donw. im going to print this out.

Back