free website stats program 1000 mile service $$$$ | Harley Davidson Forums

1000 mile service $$$$

tsp45acp

Had to cancel my 1000 mile service this weekend due to work, Re-scheduled it for next weekend. Have almost 800 on it now.

$255. for the service, am switching over to Syn oil (AmSoil--asked about Spectro, but they don't carry it) instead of regular.

I asked the service guy to double check the $$$, I thought that was highway robbery. But I guess it's right.

$255 is ridiculous. Any comments or thoughts on this? Tracy

I paid $275.58 out the door for the 1000 mile AND I provided engine and xmsn fluids. My manual should be here Monday or Tuesday, I just bought the Sears yellow jack (very nice by the way) Had the tools already. No more dealer service if I can help it.

My dealer quoted $418.00 for 1000 mile service, maybe your getting a deal? I instead purchased a service manual, filter and all required oil for less than $100.00 and did it myself and feel good about it. Maybe you should try the same. Just a thought.

I believe that's about what they charged me, give or take a hun, for my 1st 1,000 miles on the sporty back in 03

My dealer quoted $418.00 for 1000 mile service, maybe your getting a deal? I instead purchased a service manual, filter and all required oil for less than $100.00 and did it myself and feel good about it. Maybe you should try the same. Just a thought.

Sorry but that's outrageous! What dealer was that?

I figure about $80.00 to $90.00 dollars an hour for labor. Figure $15.00 dollars per quart of oil.

One hour of labor $90.00
Five quarts of oil $75.00
Eng oil filter $15.00
O-rings (2ea) $2.00
Total $182.00 dollars

If you do it yourself, add a oil filter wrench and service manual (you will want one anyway). But, you get the safisfaction of doing it yourself--no one cares about your bike like you do. And, you know it was done right. I have read stories about folks getting their bikes back after paying and finding out things were messed up or not done at all. For that price you can pick your own oil and get what you want--not what the dealer stocks! You'll also have a half quart of engine oil for next time.

Figure $15.00 dollars per quart of oil.

Who's charging $15 a qt.?

I just changed my oil.I purchased the oil from a local MC accesorie store.1 gal. of Spectro 20-50 was $37.50. Amsoil from the same store is $35.95 per gal.The local Dealer sells Redline 20-60 for $10.50 per qt.

I'll suck it up this time, but plan on getting the manual and jack soon. First bike in 15+ yrs, first Harley ever. A little intimidating for a first timer. I'm slightly mechanically inclined--used to do a lot of my own mech repairs on cars--just don't know much about bikes. I'll learn.

Getting ready to put the windshield on today. Taking the throttle off kinda scares me though. Don't know much about the friction stuff inside. Tracy

Back