free website stats program 1000 mile service rip off | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1000 mile service rip off

The dealership is ABC Harley in Waterford and ill show you what he showed me when you read it its kind of going both ways yeah its ok no its not ok so hear it goes i tried scanning it but didnt work so word for word. BREAK-IN MAINTENANCE
NOTE
The performance of new motorcycle initial service is requiered to keep your new motorcycle warrenty in force and to assure proper emissions system operation.
Refer to Table 29. after a new motorcycle has ridden its first 1000 miles,it should be taken to an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer for initial service operations. That was taken from page 81 in the 2008 dyna owners manuel. now part two.
NOTES
Refer to table 29. Reguler maintenance interval operations are required to keep your new motorcycle warranty in force. The use of other than Harley-Davidson approved parts and service procedures may void warranty.Any alterations to the emission system components,such as the exhaust system,may be in violation of federal and state laws.
That is from page 157, so i guess you lawyers tell me to me it sounds if as long you have records of job its ok. You tell me.

bikermoses, check out the 2 words in bold and underlined from your post...

These two words speak volumes. The words should and may do not indicate that the statement is a requirement to keep the warranty in force. Exchange "if you want" for should and "could" for may.

Now if the words were "shall" for may and "will" for could, HD can void your warranty because they have a requirement for the bike to be taken to the dealer.

It's all legal-speak. And they managed to hook you with a couple of statements, written by lawyers, to make it sound like it's a requirement for the dealer to do the work.

As for the dealer telling you your warranty will be void, ask them to show you it in writing. Then you can explain the difference between should/shall and may/will. Bring a dictionary. Because it appears these idiots have no clue.

And if that's the case... Do you really want them servicing your bike?

Last edited:
Not only that but in the service check up on the HD home page, after you enter the mileage and the VIN number, it brings up a screen with the services to be preformed and at the bottom it states this...

spacer.gif

NOTES
spacer.gif

1. Should be performed by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer, unless you have the proper tools, service data and are mechanically qualified
spacer.gif

2. Change D.O.T. 4 and flush brake system every two years

This is contrary to what the dealers are telling you. Print out the page after entering your VIN and the mileage and see what the dealer says about it.
I know that I am probably MORE qualified than most of the grease monkeys I have seen at the dealers and I have the tools and knowledge to perform these services so my warranty cannot be denied then.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/MNT/SCHK/en/ServiceCheckup.asp

G'Day BikerMoses,

Do buy yourself the workshop manual; Mine was $ 120 Aus ( Australian Dollars) Just so they can not (edit) into your pocket & tell you it is raining; you will get a lot of cudos from the service manager if he is worth his salt.

I am sick of the smell of Valvoline oil, yet is isright up their with redline & a tenth the price. The manual for my vrscdx recomends diesel oil 5w - 40w. It is the cheapest insurance you can get.

Those that shell out the cash and just ride are only living 1/2 the life, you gtta get a little dirt on your hands.

I pay under $ 300 for a service, whilst I am at the counter blokes are paying ???? on two credit cards for work they have had done. I change the oil myself between 5 000 Mile services as I have seen the inside of motors that have been let go tooo long. If you miss a5 000 miles service and go overit is not good for the bike; if I go over on a 2 500 mile oil change it only goes to 3 000 miles. (this has happened with other bikes of mine, not with the vrscdx yet).

Regards,

SGT

Last edited by a moderator:
Back