free website stats program 1000 mile checkup.. 99826-03 Syn oil | Harley Davidson Forums

1000 mile checkup.. 99826-03 Syn oil

planohog

Well the dealer put in sythetic oil on my 1K check up.. I was thinking that the next change at 2500 I would put in syth myself.. This will add to the ever
lasting debate of when, if or ever to use synth oil in your scoot. The part number for the oil they used 99826-03 at $11.49 each.. OUCH. They used 6 qts, that says to me they put it in all three holes. I personally would not have done that myself, I would have done 10W40 dino oil in the primary, something 90W in the transmission, and dino 20W50 in the engine. I know some of them down there , ill ask some questions next time i see them away from the dealer.

I can see where the manufacture would install same oil everywhere, its a cost and time issue. ( shortcutting )

out of the service manual 09 touring

TRANSMISSION AND PRIMARY CHAINCASE LUBRICANT (Part No. 99851-05 ).
Engine oil, they have a chart for temps and oil weight not a partnumber.

I ran accross this thread, enjoy

Syn 3 In The Transmission - Harley Davidson Community

Im not a real happy camper , but I can fix this myself and will at or around 2000 miles.

--chino

Why wait? Get the highest quality fluid into each of the 3 holes as soon as you can. Small price to pay to give your motor the best. I just got Mobil 1 for V Twins at Wal Mart for under $10 and it's light years better than the Syn 3 they put in there.

Dealer did the same to me last week at the 1000 mile check, Syn 3 in all 3 holes. I will be putting Mobil 1 in the motor next time myself, undecided on the Tranny and Primary at this point .

Pops

Your choice, but I would change it out as soon as your odometer hits a multiple of 3 (thousand miles), that way a glance at your guage tells you when to get out the fluids and wrenches. Motor oil in the gear box and chain case makes little sense IMHO and the attributes of 100% Synthetic oil have been well documented. JMHO :D

Well the dealer put in sythetic oil on my 1K check up.. I was thinking that the next change at 2500 I would put in syth myself.. This will add to the ever
lasting debate of when, if or ever to use synth oil in your scoot. The part number for the oil they used 99826-03 at $11.49 each.. OUCH. They used 6 qts, that says to me they put it in all three holes. I personally would not have done that myself, I would have done 10W40 dino oil in the primary, something 90W in the transmission, and dino 20W50 in the engine. I know some of them down there , ill ask some questions next time i see them away from the dealer.

I can see where the manufacture would install same oil everywhere, its a cost and time issue. ( shortcutting )

out of the service manual 09 touring

TRANSMISSION AND PRIMARY CHAINCASE LUBRICANT (Part No. 99851-05 ).
Engine oil, they have a chart for temps and oil weight not a partnumber.

I ran accross this thread, enjoy

Syn 3 In The Transmission - Harley Davidson Community

Im not a real happy camper , but I can fix this myself and will at or around 2000 miles.

--chino

Last edited:
Good idea. The harley syn oil shouldn't be in the trans. That part number is the bulk drum of oil.

UPDATE changed to Lucas 75W90 sythetic. The synthetic that was in there did not have that transmission oil smell or feel. There was also stuff stuck to the magnet 360 degree's after 52 miles. Sad Note: The trans drain plug , just past finger tight. Reinstalled to factory torque spec. Thanks HDTALKING for all the info..
:coffee

Glad you changed it. The syn 3 in the trans will give you excessive wear and that's what you are seeing on the magnet, it's gear material from lack of proper lubrication. Another great dealer:(

Glad you changed it. The syn 3 in the trans will give you excessive wear and that's what you are seeing on the magnet, it's gear material from lack of proper lubrication. Another great dealer:(

I concur about the metal shavings using H-D Syn 3. I switched to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 in engine & primary. Walmart in my area sells Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 (fully synthetic) for $8.95 a quart. A much better bang for your buck. Your transmission does deserve better also. Go with a fully synthetic gear oil in 75W-90 or 75W-140.

Back