free website stats program 10 Micron vs 30 Micron Oil filters | Harley Davidson Forums

10 Micron vs 30 Micron Oil filters

glider.

BOT Machine
Should I run a 10 micron or a 30 micron oil filter?

A micron rating is given to show the efficiency of the oil filter (one micron is a millionth of a meter).
This leads consumers to believe that the 10 micron filter must be better for their bike. Here is where it can get confusing though. The 10 micron filter may have a higher filtration rating it does not allow the oil to return to the tank as fast. With this in mind, the 10 micron and the later (newer) 5 micron filter filter was developed for use with the Twin Cam style engine which has a different oiling system that allows oil to be forced through a more restrictive oil filter.
The reason for the tighter filtration was explained by the manufacture as necessary to assure all of the smaller passages in the Twin Cam style engine like the piston oil jets, would stay clear of debris. If you run the 10 micron filter with an evolution style engine it will not be able to return oil through the filter fast enough causing the oil to back up into the lower end (sumping) robbing power and/or causing oil to puke out of the lower end and into the air filter housing.
The 30 micron filter is designed to work best for your Evolution style engine, the filtration is still excellent and it will not cause oiling issues.
When it comes to filtering oil, application is very important. There have been a lot of changes and updates to many filters on the market, with claims of better filtration, don't be fooled into using a filter that might not be the best for your bike.

The difference between the TC engine and the Evo engine oiling system is one is high pressure low volume and the other is low pressure high volume, thus the reason for the 10+ micron filters on the older engines.

Here's a page from Hot Bike Magazine with an ad for Fram filters. Notice the micron rating of their filters and compare to the harley filters of 5 micron. This is why I use the HD filters.

FRAM10microns.png

Here's some interesting info on the various filters.

Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - Introduction

Re: 10 Or 30 Micron filter?

My 07 books state a 5 micron filter.
Typo?

No it was changed early on for the twin cam engines. I believe this was talking about the substitution of the 10 and the 30 micron filters and switching between the evo and the TC engines and the results.

Is a 10 micron filter ok for a tri-glide 2009?

No a 5 micron is you cant get the 10 micron for the twin cam any more ..

and to throw more gas on the fire this is right form HD's site

63731-99A

Fits all '99-later Twin Cam and Evolution models and available as an upgrade for any motorcycle that requires Oil Filter P/N 63796-77A, 63805-80A, 63812-90 or 63813-90.

so harley says the 5 micron filter can be used as a upgrade to filters listed above which the 77a and 80A are evo filters ..

Is a 10 micron filter ok for a tri-glide 2009?
No it needs to be a 5 micron, I have not updated my web site for quite a while, now that TC's run 5 micron oil filters I should go back and update it, but the comparison is still true for EVO's which this is information was really written about, not so much for twin cams. It just points out that running too much restriction on a EVO's oil flow can do more harm then good.

No a 5 micron is you cant get the 10 micron for the twin cam any more ..

and to throw more gas on the fire this is right form HD's site

63731-99A

Fits all '99-later Twin Cam and Evolution models and available as an upgrade for any motorcycle that requires Oil Filter P/N 63796-77A, 63805-80A, 63812-90 or 63813-90.

so harley says the 5 micron filter can be used as a upgrade to filters listed above which the 77a and 80A are evo filters ..
Harley put the 10 micron filters on all the 1999 models stock from the factory, but in 1999 they also put a bad cam bearing in the twin cams, that's two for two in my book. I think it was too hard for the street people Harley hired to assemble the bikes in 1999 to figure out which filter for which bike so Harley took that option away and just gave them one filter. The 77A will screw on but you run a better chance of blowing oil out your air filter plus the extra oil held up in the lower end robs you of hp we all pay so dearly for.
The world according to Chopper:)

I have a buddy who has lived and breathed Harley since I have known him (30+years) And he has said since that time period that Harley made more mistakes between 1998-2001 than at any other time in the life of HD,Even the AMF years.He attributes it to them becoming complacent after the huge response on the 95th. anniversary and they didn't wake up and embrace technology till their sales dropped and warranty issues DOUBLED.Not that he would ever ride one but he says the company came back around with the technology developed for the release of the V-Rod (2001)

Back