free website stats program 10,000 mile service | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

10,000 mile service

Not to get too far off topic here, but the only service I have had on my bike was the 1000 mile service. My bike has about 8600 miles on it now. Is that a bad thing? Did I let the service go for too long? Is the 10,000 mile service fine when I hit it or do I need to get my bike in the shop now? Thanks in advance!

The 1000 mile service is important IF it is done right and completely. The 5K isn't as important if the 1K was done completely and done right. The 10K will pick up on any problems that have popped up but these mileage reminders are within limits meaning if you did the 5K at 6500 and the 10K at 12K that's ok too.

Main thing is that they are done and done correctly.

Not to get too far off topic here, but the only service I have had on my bike was the 1000 mile service. My bike has about 8600 miles on it now. Is that a bad thing? Did I let the service go for too long? Is the 10,000 mile service fine when I hit it or do I need to get my bike in the shop now? Thanks in advance!

Now this is just my opinion but I think the 5000 mile interval between oil changes that Harley recommends is too long and I use synthetic (amsoil) and still change it at 2500-3000 . I would never let bike go 7600 +/- without at least changing oil and filter especially if you are running Dino oil.

Sorry guys but I didn't mean to mislead you. I do my own service and forgot when I replied that the services in question by the dealer here included the oils done too. Having a bad day here and not thinking too straight.

I also do the oils at 2500 mile intervals with synthetics (except the primary which is formula +) with filter as well as the critical fasteners etc that are listed for the appropriate services at the various mileages.

Sorry If I confused the issue here.

Now I'll go to Calgary Harley Davidson and get the O-ring set and compare price, right now the Canadian dollar is more then the green back.

O-ring kit was $5.10 tax in. That's compared to $2.80 in the U.S. Welcome to Canada!

Last edited:
Back