free website stats program 09RK cranks but no spark | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

09RK cranks but no spark

I think this info will end this thread for now. I want to thank everyone who responded to this problem.

For those with 09 touring, beware of adding a tach.
I ended up taking the bike to the dealer, and he found a pin pushed up in the ecm connector the powers the ecm. The connector is a real bear to work on; avoid it if you can. It was my bad.
The 09 touring bikes have a new ecm - different from 08 and all others.
The wiring harness is all new - so older pinouts and wiring colors probably won't work.
Position 3 of the ecm does not work for a tach.
The service tech tried the green/violet wire at the ecm diagnostic port (serial bus) and the tach just bounced all over once the power was switched on. This did not work.
The technician tried to find tach installation instructions for an 09 FLHR and could not find one. He suggested that perhaps all 09 tachs will be serial bus only.
I suggested that we try pin #3 at the speedo connector, which has been successful in the past. No way- with no real proof that it will work for an 09.
I did not want to fry anything after all this.
So - to conclude , I removed the tach, removed the wire from the ecm connector , and I will wait to see if anything comes up to confirm the proper tach installation.

The tech should be able to contact the mother ship to find out where to hook the tach lead if it doesn't work in the #3 position. There's other models in the 09 lineup that run a tach, check in your factory manual for the ECM plug, it should be labeled in there.. That's why I suggested in my first reply to check the pins over in the plug after the installation, it's easy to mess one up when reconnecting the plug.

I had the same problem with a 99 Road King, checked the plugs, fuel pump, bank angle sensor, crank position sensor, cam sensor, cleaned all battery connection, and grounds. Talked to many machanics and the Harley dealership. All were very helpfull but didn't give any definitive answer. I felt it had to be something simple as one day it started the next it didn't, had no spark, no fuel, no faut code the nailed it down, on occasion it would start. Turned out to be the duetch connector for the cam and crank sensors, pulled it apart tracing power and looked at it in good light and found that four of six pin connections were slightly darker than the other two of the six. Cut it out, chunked it and used good quality male female connectors from a auto store, made sure each wire corresponded when connected and it starts and runs like normal. If you run into an electrical issue, check the wires and connectors, never assume they're good.

Good observation, if the pins of a connector look discolored in the slightest, they are getting hot. Brass or gold plated berrilyum copper are both bright yellow, so if dull, orange, brown, or blue there is way too much current flowing or overheating due to bad mating contacts within the connectors.

That wood be good randyman.
We looked over the wiring diagrams at the dealers. Unused pins have no designation; including pin #3 of the speedo connector. I was hoping that, even if unused it would have a 'tach signal' designation, but it did not.
Again, if the speedo takes in a serial bus signal and outputs a usable tach signal on pin #3 (alias pink wire) as in pre-09 bikes; it doesn't state that anywhere we saw in the 09 diagrams.
The technician at the dealer showed some interest in this issue ; maybe he'll contact the 'Mothership'

Back