free website stats program 09 Ultra hot | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Ultra hot

pahdrider

Just had 1000k service at HD dealer. Put syn 3 in engine and regular HD fluids in trans and gear case. I know the syn 3 isn't the preferred engine synthetic but I need the bike this weekend and had no choice.

Drove bike home from dealer and it was hotter than normal on the highway. Legs were roasting. Checked all fluid levels when I got home and all was good.

The bike was much cooler before the service ? Any thoughts anyone ? Checked to see if there was any DTC codes and they all said none.

Worried about the big ride this week end ................

I agree.... but I can't believe that the bike is running so much hotter than the original fluids. I never noticed the heat at all before the change ?

I agree.... but I can't believe that the bike is running so much hotter than the original fluids. I never noticed the heat at all before the change ?

You are correct. If all you did was service with no other mods, there is no reason it should run hotter. The oil they changed was likely syn 3 to begin with. If there is no down load or other mods, it should not run hotter than when you brought it in. On the other hand, a fuel management such as a TFI, a open air cleaner, with a full synthetic oil such as Mobil One along with free flowing pipes will make a big difference, It did on my 09 Ultra.
:s

Agree with Walleye and I run Syn3 with no problems although I run different oil in the tranny. The 09's run hot, the 2010's will be worse if they're all CARB certified. A fanatastic bike though, get the Stage 1 and an oil cooler and your temp will drop 20 degrees plus better mpg.

Are you sure it wasn't just a much hotter day when you rode it home? What you described shouldn't have changed the operating temps of your bike to a noticeable level.

I think it was a combination of all the things like Hot weather, Fluid Problem, some time your speed affect as well.

First try to change the fluid and then go for a run and if there is still same problem then go through with the manual and try to find out if they have any solution for this kind of trouble.

And the last one is to go the service station and pay some more money :)

Noddy

The way I see it is this.

Your bike most likely had the HD360 oil from the factory which as far as oils go is pretty good oil, only the CVO bikes get to use that poor excuse for an oil SYN 3.
You NOW have Syn 3 in there so I would drain the engine oil and replace it with a quality oil like Mobil 1 synthetic, it may be the difference you are feeling here.

SELECT......Don't settle on oils.

Just had 1000k service at HD dealer. Put syn 3 in engine and regular HD fluids in trans and gear case. I know the syn 3 isn't the preferred engine synthetic but I need the bike this weekend and had no choice.

Drove bike home from dealer and it was hotter than normal on the highway. Legs were roasting. Checked all fluid levels when I got home and all was good.

The bike was much cooler before the service ? Any thoughts anyone ? Checked to see if there was any DTC codes and they all said none.

Worried about the big ride this week end ................

Do as Glider suggested above and change the engine oil to Mobil 1 VTwin 20W50 Engine Oil. When you can, change the tranny fluid to Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil.

As Hobbit said, if it is really a heat problem, get back to the Dealership and have them figure it out. If everything is normal, but just hot, my solution (Houston area) is to take the lower fairing off in the Spring-Fall period. Works!!

TQ

Back