free website stats program 09 ultra classic engine cuts off while driving for app. 5 sec.then restarts. no codes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 ultra classic engine cuts off while driving for app. 5 sec.then restarts. no codes

I had a similar problem with my 2008 FLHT. It would intermittently die on the highway. After a lot of work, they replaced the Kill switch. Over 4000Km (2500mi) and it has been running great!

See my thread:

Engine intermittently dies, no codes (this is very long winded)...

FLHTrider08

Thanks dbmg. I was replying from my phone on Tapatalk and couldn't figure out how to get the link.
WAP.gif

Thanks for all your help. I am still having the same problem. I tried to start it last thursday on the kick stand and it would not start. I sat on it upright and it started. I thought it might be a tsm. I purchased a take off from a guy that installed a tssm on his bike. When I installed it, the bike started with out having to marry it. I rode app. 60 miles and I thought I found the problem but on the way home as soon as my wife said "I think you have it fixed" it cut off. This time it did not restart. It has always restarted. Most of the time before I could pull over.I trailored it home and installed the old tsm and it started. I should have tried it before I replaced it. Could this be a different problem? Does the tsm still need to be married to the the ecm?
I know it is very unsafe to ride when you never know when it will quit.
I would take it to the dealer but if they cannot duplicate it it would be a wast of time.
It has 18k miles.
It looses spark to the plugs. I found out the hard way.
you can hear the fuel pump start at key on.
you can hear the fuel pump when you try to start it.
No codes.
never looses electrical power.
battery connections all good
ground good.
Thanks for your help.

Unless I'm mistaken the ECM has to be programmed for the TSM or TSSM, one or the other. Did yours have a TSM or TSSM originally? I believe only the FOB has to be married to a TSSM.
tourbox

Have you checked the crank sensor? If it is bad it will interrupt the spark signal

Guess I don't have a clear understanding of what prompts the ECM to set a trouble code. Evidently the ECM does not recognize a cessation of data from any one given sensor as a problem? In the case under discussion, vehicle speed info would still be coming in, but no data from the CPS does not trigger a code?

Back