free website stats program 09 Ultra Classic 103 upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Ultra Classic 103 upgrade

Greetings,

I'm thinking of upgrading my 96 to the 103 using the SE stageII kit and the stageI air. Also thinking of V&H Monster Ovals (thanks for the video post Glider, I can't seem to stop thinking about how those will sound). I'd like to hear from anyone on this upgrade sepcifically the SE-255 cams, did you loose any top end and if so how much? Any opinions (constructive please:D) would be appreciated. Yes, I already know I dress funny, thanks.

Best,
Dan

You may want to consider some of the 103's have had crank problems.
Granted I think they may have been run hard. Theres is some question as to weather the crank is up to the task in these engines.
I do not think I would put that kind of money into an engine without upgrading the crank.

Stealer said that this motor has the 103 bottom end (103 stroker crank) to start with, taking his word. What would you reccomend in the crank area, I've heard forged over cast as an opinion?? Thx.

---------- Hilltown 65 edit/added post 5 minutes and 20 seconds later ----------

Glad you got something out of them besides less in your wallet.:D

Glider, I always look at a wallet like skin, eventually it'll grow back :D Did you have any decel popping problems?

Last edited:
You may want to consider some of the 103's have had crank problems.
Granted I think they may have been run hard. Theres is some question as to weather the crank is up to the task in these engines.
I do not think I would put that kind of money into an engine without upgrading the crank.

I had a long discussion with an independent shop in our area that specializes in engine upgrades. He's been doing it forever. He has never had a crank issue with the new v-twins, and has done a lot of upgrades. I know that there is a lot of negative press about the cranks. It seems, though, that there is conflicting data.

For what it's worth...

Sharky

Thanks for the post I too think there is a lot of hear say on this stuff. "A guy my buddy knew, blew (insert part here), they gotta be junk from factory!" Not mentioning that the guy was trying to do it on the cheap, and used the wrong parts or didn't get the install right.

Please, one person here post with details of how your crank failed. I haven't seen nor heard of one yet. We can't pass on hearsay as fact.

On the other hand, all man-made parts are subject to failure. I also understand that the new design doesn't seem as well made as the older design.

I have over 20,000 miles on my hot rodded 103, which is pushed hard frequently.

I expect this may ruffle a few feathers, but like 5th gear whine--when was the last time someone thought their transmission was going south?

It wasn't mine but ..
A friend on another harley forum had the crank replaced under warranty when it started vibrating badly. Upon checking they found the run out to be excessive on his 07 UC so the rep was called and OK'd the replacement.Only ONE out of more than one but never the less it's a real thing and a first hand experience too, not a he said she said.

It's noticed as excessive vibrations in the floorboards for starters and it IS a real thing too, maybe not as wide spread as some think but never the less a real thing. Most dealers will not mention anything about it and when asked about it speak in generalities, I think because it is their income potential that would be seriously effected if the sales dropped because of a problem. JMHO
I have asked a few dealers some questions about problems that I know that people have brought their bikes in for ( from speaking to the customer) and they deny any problems at all.

It's a "they all do that" syndrome.

Back