free website stats program 09 Road Glide head shake | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Road Glide head shake

As I started reading the problem the first thing that came to mind was the tire. I've had cars that road smooth at 70 but at say 68 had just a little shake. If I'm not mistaken tires are balanced at 55 or 60 and the rest is how well the tire is made... I've also got a buddy that before his new front tire was put on never had a shake but now after the new tire he's complained about shaking at speeds between 35 and 45...

I bought a 2009 Road Glide in June and had a tourpak added in August. I was then that I noticed a severe front end wobble between 35 and 45 mph. The dealer checked the air pressure, tightened the forks (a technical advisor said to tighten them more than spec) and offered to put on a new front wheel. On my ride home the wobble was there as bad as ever. I called the dealer right back and he suggested taking the tourpak off to see if that made a difference. (They had not road tested it with the tourpak on the bike) THE WOBBLE WAS COMPLETELY ELIMINATED. I'm new to Harley's ... is there some sort of rear end adjustment to compensate for the weight of the tourpak? I haven't had a rider yet, but suspect that the extra weight of the rider will make things even worse. The dealer is looking into it without much success.

i recently bought a 2011 road glide but before i bought it i had test drove two bikes from the dealer and both had the wobble whale slowing down

for some reason my bike is not doing this at least for now
it felt like it wanted to at one time but for now no wobble,
nock on wood, fingers crossed.

i bleve it is a define problem
harley s 2014 touring models have larger neck bearings and thicker fork tubes
i think this is the reason why
"to eliminate the steering wobble"

some how a steering stabilizer must be installed or parts swap from a 2014 touring bike if this is even possible
"I don't know?"

i am concerned that my bike may develop a problem in the future.

if any one can research this further i would also like to know any sulutions that was found to permanently cure this problem.

sincerely,
Kornflake

i recently bought a 2011 road glide but before i bought it i had test drove two bikes from the dealer and both had the wobble whale slowing down

for some reason my bike is not doing this at least for now
it felt like it wanted to at one time but for now no wobble,
nock on wood, fingers crossed.

i bleve it is a define problem
harley s 2014 touring models have larger neck bearings and thicker fork tubes
i think this is the reason why
"to eliminate the steering wobble"

some how a steering stabilizer must be installed or parts swap from a 2014 touring bike if this is even possible
"I don't know?"

i am concerned that my bike may develop a problem in the future.

if any one can research this further i would also like to know any sulutions that was found to permanently cure this problem.

sincerely,
Kornflake

The problem is no more than loose head bearings. Check the fall away and adjust the bearings as needed.

Re: 09 Road Glide head shakehat

The problem is no more than loose head bearings. Check the fall away and adjust the bearings as needed.

Adjusting the steering head bearings fixed the wobble on my 09 RKC. I must say though that when she's loaded down for the road there is still a wobble at low speed. Not an issue when I keep my hands on the bars.

I just bought an 09 Road Glide FLTR. I love the bike, feels like an 800 lb sport bike compared to my 03 RK. The other day I was out for a ride, just playing
around I took my hands off the bars at about 55 mph, everything was nice and straight and smooth but as the bike decelerated, at about 45 -50 mph, I started to get a moderate wiggle in the bars. It never got real bad and when I got down below 35 it went away. My 03 stays straight as an arrow when I
do this. Any one else had this experience? I can feel it slightly at that speed even with one hand lightly on the bar. Doesn't seem right, I'll be sure to mention it to the dealer at the 1000 mile service,but there response will probably be "don't take your hands off the bars". Any thoughts?
WAP.gif

My Goldwing did the same thing. After replacing the rear tire, it was gone until the tire started to wear out again. You may also want to check the bearings in your triple tree just in case.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back