free website stats program 09 Primary Capacity - is manual accurate? | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Primary Capacity - is manual accurate?

Neilwillo

Hi all,
I'm just changing my primary oil in my 09 FLHT tourer. I've come across an unusual bit of info in the owners manual that makes me wonder.

My old 03 FLHT was 32 ounces to fill (1 quart bottle) When i did this it came to the bottom of the clutch pack.

My new 09 specifies 38 ounces to fill. I just put 32 ounces into it and again it came to the bottom of the clutch pack. The same as my 03.

Something doesn't add up to me. :33:Or is Harley putting more oil into the Primary trying to get it to run cooler? Should I put the extra amount of oil into the primary regardless and see how it goes or leave it at the 32 ounce level, the same as the 03

Your wisdom is much appreciated.
Thanks

Neil

my 08 hold 32 also though manual says 38 i dont want to over fill it so i fill it to where they say to on clutch pack and call it good and its usually 32

JMO but if they recommend the 38 oz, they are doing it for a reason. Lowering the level/amount may work but the increase from prior years was done for more than selling more primary oil. Possibly it could have something to do with the self adjuster???

The primary will probably work with 10 ounces in there but the engineers that design these units know a bit more than we do.
Why not put 2 quarts of oil in the engine instead of the recommended levels?

.... Possibly it could have something to do with the self adjuster???

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this....but is the "self-adjuster" a feature that came out after the 2007 model year?

My factory shop manual and owners manual both indicate 32oz. for the primary (2007 FXSTC).

I agree with Glider. They call for 38oz and on my O7classic it takes it all. Are you adding the fluid with the Jiffy stand down? The manual calls for the bike to be upright.

I agree with Glider. They call for 38oz and on my O7classic it takes it all. Are you adding the fluid with the Jiffy stand down? The manual calls for the bike to be upright.

Hi, I'm doing it on my bike lift and the bike is level. Thanks for the replies. Again, it has been very helpful.

I will put the extra amount in it as suggested and see what happens. What it does tell me though is that even though HD primary cases (Inner and outer) look the same there is a slight difference between models. Constant refinement I guess.

Cheers:cheers

Neil

Back