free website stats program 08 Ultra with Hard Loud shifting all gears | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Ultra with Hard Loud shifting all gears

Vibratinharley

:dknowToday on my return trip from 180 mile ride to the western part of PA, my transmission started shifting hard and with a loud clunk in every gear. I am so reluctant to take this back to dealer to have them tell me they can't find anything wrong like the last time I dropped it off with fuel smell and trans hard shifting concern. ( yep, was there before but really worse now). I even flat shifted it a couple of times hoping to break it so they would be able to find the problem easier. ( I know this is not right but anger management not working) Anybody having similar issues with their 08 6 speed? What could be causing this? Bike has 3400 miles on it....

Did you check the obvious like the trans oil to make sure it's full?

Is it banging harder than before? They generally do make a clunk into most every gear, louder than normal?

How about adjusting the clutch? That's the number one reason for shifting problems.

Are you using Syn3?In my experience Formula plus makes the trannys happier.The fourth/fifth whine is much quieter and hot shifting is better.

I am using Pure Synthetic gear lube called severe gear by Amsoil in the transmission. The primary seems to be noisy so I am wondering, Will the primary chain make it harder to shift if it is too loose? or too tight? I know it has self adjuster but it seemed as if the hotter the bike got, the worse and louder the shifting was.

What I use;

2-10-08_harley_pics057.JPG

I see your choice is rated at 75-110, most gear lubes I have used are 75-140.While the 75-110 may be OK, Why not try a different brand/weight like the 75-140 in a quality name brand . It's only one quart we're talking about here and may show you a difference in shifting.

I see your choice is rated at 75-110, most gear lubes I have used are 75-140.While the 75-110 may be OK, Why not try a different brand/weight like the 75-140 in a quality name brand . It's only one quart we're talking about here and may show you a difference in shifting.

What do you use? I remember you saying something about I think it was spectrum? What about the new stuff for 6 speed boxes? I wouldn't mind changing oils as I like Amsoil but didn't really care for this as much as their other oils.

i think there is a change up to there rear sporket threw harley for that noise.
im sure i saw it in a mag amercian iron. march edition

If you are talking about the IDS pulley, that comes from the factory on the 08's, it's on this bike already.

Back