free website stats program 08 Ultra accessory connection issue | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Ultra accessory connection issue

I had my Auto Sparky mate have a look for me to set up my Garmin 550 and after a bit of looking he just unhooked the spotlights and laid them on the front guard...on a towel of course....and we then just pulled out the headlight and ran the wiring for the Garmin down the handlebar and hooked everything directly to the headlight wiring. Clean and easy to do, now as soon as I turn on the ignition the Garmin kicks into life and when I turn the bike off it asks me if I want to continue on battery power and I answer yes/no.
Then just run a lead to the Aux hole on the radio for voice activation in the VOX if I need it.
Much easier I felt than trying to figure out HD's system....KISS Method...Keep it simple stupid...grin

I hard wired power to my XM.

Behind the head light there is a switched power wire (orange/white) and a ground wire (black) with female connectors on the end. I used 16-14 insulated disconnects on the Garmin wires, which with a little push, plug right onto the factory plugs. You can get the at your local auto parts store like Autozone.

Just feed the wires through the holes in the innner faring. Be sure and get some small wire ties to secure the wires to the handle bar and inside the fairing.

You can remove just the headlight, but to make sure you have cleareance and a neater job, it's easier to remove the outer faring to install. Only seven screws to remove. I also ran the Garmin/XM output wire through the innner faring to the radios AUX input.

It may sound complicated but actually if you take your time it's a piece of cake.

I believe these wires are on all Touring Models, since these same two wire were behind the headlight on my 07 RK, too.
:USA

Back