free website stats program 08 Streetbob Fork Legs | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Streetbob Fork Legs

J

Jack Klarich

Glider and Hobbit, how much oil do 08 Streetbob fork legs hold and what happened to the drain plugs

Hey Jack,
I have an 06 Street Bob and I had to do my seals. Actually just one side, but I did them both for precaution. Mine are the Showa forks and 44mm. I was glad to change out the oil. The stuff that was in there looked brown and awful. I used the HD fork oil for Showa forks. Type E I think.
The way to do it is loosen the nut on the top of the forks, then remove front wheel, fender and caliper. Support the caliper with a coat hanger or bungee so no strain is on the hose. Loosen the bolts holding the forks to the triple clamps and then once you have them off, you can remove the nut, being careful, because the fork spring has a lot of pressure on it. Remove spring. Turn the fork upside down and drain into a container. The washer than holds the spring off the bottom will fall out with the oil.
Now if you are to change out seals, then you need to remove the bolt at the bottom of the leg. Then they come apart.
I am not sure if my measurement of oil is the same as yours though. If you think it might be, then I can go into the garage and give you the measurement for the '06. You measure down from the top, not a quantity. I made a stick with the measurement on it so I could fill to the line I had marked. You are going to need about 4 quarts though. I had bought two and only got one leg done and had to run back over to the dealer for another two. I have about half of the 4th quart left over.
Let me know if you want that measurement. I can look it up from the manual.
BTW, with the fresh oil in the forks and the stem nut washer mod, my forks feel great and no topping out with a clunk either. That oil that was in mine was suspicious. Since the forks are made in Japan, the oil could be from there too. It looked bad and had a smell to it too.

I checked the service manual and the measurement is 4.3 inches (110 mm)
That is with the fork fully collapsed and without the spring and washer. Fill to 4.3 inches from the very top of the slider tube. Then extend the fork and install the washer and the spring, with tightly wound portion to the bottom. Then screw in the chrome nut with new oring if you have some. Once you remount the forks you will be able to tighten the nut with the fork pinched by the bolts in the triple clamps. The final specified height of the tubes in the triple clamps is 1/2" exposed above the top triple clamp measured from the clamp to the top of the tightened nut. I hope that helps and as you can see the value is there to have a manual. I have always made a point to obtain a manual for all the bikes I have had and since I enjoy doing my own work, I find them invaluable.
Holler, if you have a question as you proceed. :)

Thanks for the info Im trying to help a friend who slammed his 08 Streetbob I ride an 07 Streetbob and like my suspension stock Thanks again great to have such good help on this forum

Back