free website stats program '08 SG DTC code P1511 and P2135 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

'08 SG DTC code P1511 and P2135

Is this a problem with all '08 dressers or just because of the chrome cover that was installed? I just went over 37,000 with my '08 Ultra and nothing yet!

I would say anyone who has Throttle by Wire needs to put the Nyogel lube on the quick disconnect to prevent contact fretting even if you have no problem at all.

Here's a update on the problem I was having. I ordered a replacement Sensor kit that has a new throttle control and new wiring. The old sensor had a connector that was inside the handlebars and that was what, I think, was causing the problem. The new sensor has longer wiring and no mid wire connector. Put it in today, and it's working great with no codes. The HD part number is 32310-08. Will update this again if any problems show up.

This is Great info. That's what is Great about this site. We all have each others back and as these bikes get more miles, we need to keep each other in the loop. Thanks for keeping us informed.

I have a 08 Ultra I bought September 07, I had this problem about 16000 miles with same codes 1511, 2135. Dealer replaced complete throttle body, Worked great up to yesterday, 34500 miles. I was passing when throttle went out. This is a dangerous situation to be in. You would think somebody would have implemented a secondary backup to prevent possible death or seroius bodily injury.
I bought this bike to have a dependable ride, I hope there is a permanent fix.

Had the same issue on my 08 Ultra Classic (19K miles). It is still under warrenty so I took it to the dealer. The cleaned the termials. I kind of hope it happens again under warrenty. Maybe next time they will find a hard failue

I sure hope the MoCo did not bite off more than it can chew with the introduction of the 2011 CAN network system.

Same codes on mine, 09 RG. Took it to the dealer two weeks ago, and they said they crimped on new connectors near the TCA, cleaned and repacked w/ lube. When I took it home, no historical codes at all.
Then the Friday morning of Biketoberfest, the CEL came on, then went off. Like it picked up a historical code. But the RG rode fine. Since then, it's only showing a historical code and not staying on all the time. The nice thing, I have the warranty service # from my receipt and will bring it right back to the same dealer to fix it again if it happens. I'm making sure I have a clear paper trail on this issue.

Ride safe and have fun.

Like it picked up a historical code. But the RG rode fine. Since then, it's only showing a historical code and not staying on all the time.

"Like" it picked up a Historical code?? It HAS picked up a code....

I would be looking at the error log right this minute if it was my bike. Yes, it may be total un-related to a P2135 but it is a code and it can be very important.

Thanks, Hoople. I checked the codes this AM and it's P1510 and P2138. So I was having the P1510 before, now it picked up the P2138 code. CEL not on all the time, as it goes out after 20 seconds or so.

Even if it happened only once and goes away, you have to address it. P2138 is twist-grip position sensor correlation error. Along with a P1510 which is "fall back on power". (That's understandable)

What bothers me about these contacts fretting is nothing has been done to STOP the micro-motion. Applying the Nyogel lube only Helps,, But unless you stiffen up the male and female connector from moving with some retainer the problem will return, over and over. There will be no stopping it.

The way it is usually stopped, is by applying a 2 step process. Step 1 is to replace both of the common "Tin" contact connectors with Gold flash connectors. Both the male and female connector pin Must be replaced,,and...

The 2nd step was to apply some kind of Retainer clip to the joined connector in order to only allow the connector (male-female) to vibrate as a complete unit and NOT allow the male and female connections to vibrate INDEPENDENTLY of each other. Independent vibration is what causes fretting to start with.

Allowing the contact "halves" to vibrate independently of each other is the real root cause of this entire issue.

My guess is 'down the road' HD makes the cable and twist grip pots "one" and eliminate this troublesome connector COMPLETELY out of the picture. Just make the handlebar cable a part of the twist grip pots. Putting a sensitive 6 pin connector on a vibrating handle bar was silly to start with.

***If I had TBW, I would just solder that connector together and make it one. Who really needs a 6 pin connector there anyway? Just get rid of it completely & eliminate the risk of a P1510 popping up when you need the throttle the most.***

Even if you don't shore up the connector yourself, at the Very least, document everything that takes place regarding these error codes.

Back