free website stats program 08 Night Train Exhaust leak after drop ?? Video attached | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Night Train Exhaust leak after drop ?? Video attached

Cracks on the pipe itself or the head ?

As a quick question, when you installed the new crush gasket in the cylinder head exhaust port, you did make sure it was fully seated in the recess BEFORE mounting the pipe, right? I usually use a popsicle stick to "walk" around the perimeter of the gasket to make sure it is fully seated. Also, as Glider suggested above, if you have to pull the pipe off again, inspect it carefully for damage (like cracks). This usually occures at welded joints like the profile at the head end of the pipe.

TQ

If I have heavy nicks I start with 80,then smooth it up with 320

Cracks on the pipe itself or the head ?

Pipe. Especially where the retaining profile is welded on the head end of the pipe. If there is a hair line crack there, it may be hard to find until the pipe heats up and the crack opens up. Also, since you are taking things apart, check that the end of the pipe has not been mashed out of round. If it has, you may have to pound on it with a rubber hammer on a piece of wood to make it round again.

TQ

Thanks guys !! this whole thing has me a bit worried, but its good to know that I have a good group of guys here that not only know their stuff, but are also willing to help. Good to know there are still good people out there ... :)

Pipe. Especially where the retaining profile is welded on the head end of the pipe. If there is a hair line crack there, it may be hard to find until the pipe heats up and the crack opens up. Also, since you are taking things apart, check that the end of the pipe has not been mashed out of round. If it has, you may have to pound on it with a rubber hammer on a piece of wood to make it round again.

TQ

Also check to make sure the flange is not distorted, it should be flat and torque it in evenly. The chip on the outer edge of the port wouldn't effect sealing, but if the pipe is out of round or the flange is bent or twisted a bit, that could.

ok, im gonna look into that aswell. I really dont think there was a chip as I would of noticed that. Regardless I will look at every detail once im there. I got a bit caught up today, and wasnt able to look into the exhaust leak. gonna have to wait til the morning. =(

Also check to make sure the flange is not distorted, it should be flat and torque it in evenly. The chip on the outer edge of the port wouldn't effect sealing, but if the pipe is out of round or the flange is bent or twisted a bit, that could.

I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing today. I took the exhaust off again and I inspected everything very carefully. I didn't see anything that looked wrong except for a ring around the exhaust pipe that looks as if its cracked. I don't know if its supposed to be like ?? Other than that the crush washer didn't look as it was completely sealing due to this ring that looks as if its suppose to sit inside the flange. There is a rust spot around the flange as if its been sitting there for a while.. I still havn't put it back together as I want to see what you guys think.
oh yea, as for the last pics that looked as if there was a chip or something, well its only the paint that chipped. not the actual head or port.

Attachments

• P5020065.jpg
    P5020065.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 18
  • P5020072.jpg
    P5020072.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 16
  • P5020074.jpg
    P5020074.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 17
  • P5020080.jpg
    P5020080.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 17
  • P5020082.jpg
    P5020082.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
not sure what you mean? both gasket were there. I removed the crush one and the split ring stays on the pipe itself. I think my problem is coming from that split ring. Is the ring suppose to fit flush inside the lip that the flange has ? or does it sit around the outside ?

nope, no other gasket in there. Just the split ring and the silver mesh crush gasket. Im reading an older manual here and im not understanding which way to place the crush washer. It has a tapered side and a flat side. Last time I installed it, I put the flat side towards the flat side of the head.

when you say flush, im guessing you mean that it sits as far back as it can go, evenly ? where both flat sides are touching. Also, how could you get tht split ring to go into the groove the flange has ?

that is the correct way to install the gasket.
make sure when its in there its nice and flush

Back