free website stats program 08 Heritage Steering Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Heritage Steering Problem

slim6596

My 08 Heritage has a wobble when I get around 40MPH or so. That's when it's most pronounced, but I can feel it at higher speeds also. The dealer tried changing the tire, then the rim. It seemed better for a while, but now it's back. I have sort of checked to make sure the spokes were all tight, but I don't have a spoke wrench. I tapped on each spoke with a small crescent wrench and got a nice tone out of each one. Any ideas of what I could check next? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you thought of adding a few ounces of dyna beads to balance the wheel?
WAP.gif

I had a low speed wobble like tight slow turn at a gas station and following a run of a full tank of gas. I changed the fork oil and that went away. But I also found an air hose for the shock that was stretched really tight acrossed the neck. So I rerouted that hose while I was in there and now my air shocks are holding air ....where they were constantly low. So was it one or the other or both?

My 08 Heritage has a wobble when I get around 40MPH or so. That's when it's most pronounced, but I can feel it at higher speeds also. The dealer tried changing the tire, then the rim. It seemed better for a while, but now it's back. I have sort of checked to make sure the spokes were all tight, but I don't have a spoke wrench. I tapped on each spoke with a small crescent wrench and got a nice tone out of each one. Any ideas of what I could check next? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have they checked the fallaway on the steering? If the tension on the steering bearings is too little it will cause handling issues.

Another thing to check for is a broken pinch bolt on one of the legs on the bottom triple tree. a buddy of mine had the same symptom as you with his heritage, we chased the problem for a while and finally found the broken pinch bolt. It happened to my brother in laws fatboy as well, same syptoms again, found a broken pinch bolt as well. Just a suggestion.

Another thing to check for is a broken pinch bolt on one of the legs on the bottom triple tree. a buddy of mine had the same symptom as you with his heritage, we chased the problem for a while and finally found the broken pinch bolt. It happened to my brother in laws fatboy as well, same syptoms again, found a broken pinch bolt as well. Just a suggestion.

Thank you. I will have it checked.

Another thing to check for is a broken pinch bolt on one of the legs on the bottom triple tree.

Stroker, When you say broken pinch bolt, do you mean the bolt breaks right at the "gap" area and the Torx head falls out and is missing? Or did you have to apply wrench force to the bolts in order to find it to be broken. Any trouble getting the remaining piece removed from the tree assembly?

Stroker, When you say broken pinch bolt, do you mean the bolt breaks right at the "gap" area and the Torx head falls out and is missing? Or did you have to apply wrench force to the bolts in order to find it to be broken. Any trouble getting the remaining piece removed from the tree assembly?

Good question , Id like to know as well.
F.K.

This sure sounds like a tire issue, I would have them recheck the run out on that tire

Back