free website stats program 08 Front Wheel bearings | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Front Wheel bearings

To me, the real answer would be having the wheel hub machined to accept BOTH the now standard 6205 along with a stand-alone press-in outer garter spring oil seal. The 6205 just needs some "first line" protection from the outside elements to make it last. It would still save HD a ton of money over the superior taper roller/ shim selective setup of years ago. The wheel hub is already wide enough to accommodate the additional outer seal. No labor extensive end play bearing shimming would be required. The outer seal lip could just ride on the outer axle spacers now in place.

Good morning guys Got the bearings figured out, the right side SKF 6205-2RSH/C3, the left side is a SKF 62205-2RS1 with a 1/8" spacer behind the bearing, why two different bearings??? Got the bike back to-gether now the ABS light will not cancel. Pulled the aixle out & anti-seize on ABS magnetic pick ups, cleaned, re-assembled, still the same, I will figure it out. Thanks for all the info.

Seems to me I remember reading somewhere that HD used a special bearing and that is what the ABS uses to measure wheel speed. Therefore a standard bearing will not work on the ABS sensor side. Am I dreaming about this?

You are correct Jennmarr, the bearing along with the pickup/spacer is what the ABS system uses to measure wheel speed.

Correct me if I am wrong, the ABS Bearing part # is HD9252. One for front lewft side and one for rear right side. Roughly $30.00 each.

Wheel bearings are definitely different on left and right side of an ABS equipped bike, I have changed them before. The left bearing (front ABS) the bearing is totally diffferent, being that the seal seals to the outer race of the bearing and and the seal is a metal carrier up to about 1/32 from the outer race where it seals to the outer race. The other side is a normal bearing that seals to the inner race of the bearing. Same goes for rear, but the ABS bearing is on the right side. I don't have bearing #'s, I bought a wheel installation kit through Harley that comes with both bearings and the spacers. Front kit # is 41454 -08B. Rear kit # is 41453-08C

ABS light flashing, problem solved. Stroker & mouthful you were right. You have to replace the bearings with Harley bearings. The reason the ABS light would not cancel was I had the bearing in backwards. Bearing on ABS side has a red seal on one side, a green seal on the other side. The green seal goes out against the ABS sensor. ABS problem solved. Thanks for all the help.

ABS light flashing, problem solved. Stroker & mouthful you were right. You have to replace the bearings with Harley bearings. The reason the ABS light would not cancel was I had the bearing in backwards. Bearing on ABS side has a red seal on one side, a green seal on the other side. The green seal goes out against the ABS sensor. ABS problem solved. Thanks for all the help.

And thank YOU for coming back and letting everyone know what the final resolution was.

Back