free website stats program 08 FLHX Seat of choice for the big and tall folks | Harley Davidson Forums

08 FLHX Seat of choice for the big and tall folks

escorial

I just bought a 08 Street Glide and know right off the bat that the seat will have to go. I'm 6'02" 270, 32" inseam and was wondering what other people my size were using?

Please no Sundowner feedback, there junk I have tried them before on my past bikes. I guess if you 5'8" and weigh 160lbs you could get by with about any seat. So please would appreciate feedback from people that are my size.

Also were you able to live with the stock bars?

Please post your stats w/reply is height , weight, inseam.

TIA

Last edited:
I put a Sundowner on mine and love it but if you've had bad luck in the past with them you probably want to look at Mustang or Corbin - more expensive but great seats.

Stock handlebars are OK with me for now. Lots of folks seem to have switched to Wild Ones (575's I think) but it seems to me most bars that give you more pullback or rise also take your hands away from the protection of the fairing.

Biggest additions that have added to my comfort, especially on longer rides, are the adjustable backrest and the 360 degree adjustable highway pegs.

I had the Sundowner one of my past Road Kings, at first it felt ok but the seat soon broke down and turned into a device of pain.

What size are you?

About the Mustang they move you forward and up which I do not need but would certaily like to hear from other users. I had a Corbin on my Road King which they custom built it so it moved me back. I never had a chance to break it in all the way but it felt like it was always making me slide forward.

My all time favorite is the Russell seat and if anyone is running on a street glide I sure would like to see some photos and hear some comments....

I put a Sundowner on mine and love it but if you've had bad luck in the past with them you probably want to look at Mustang or Corbin - more expensive but great seats.

Stock handlebars are OK with me for now. Lots of folks seem to have switched to Wild Ones (575's I think) but it seems to me most bars that give you more pullback or rise also take your hands away from the protection of the fairing.

Biggest additions that have added to my comfort, especially on longer rides, are the adjustable backrest and the 360 degree adjustable highway pegs.

Now you're getting personal :p

I'm 6 foot tall, 235 pounds of chiseled muscle, with a 32 inch inseam.

i went a different way than most (no big surprise there) :) I found a guy with a police special that was getting a Corbin heated seat and paid him 600.00 for the air system, seat, and console hardware. Moved me back about 2 to 3 inches and really comfy as it totaly adjustable with the air ride. That was on my 2008 FLHT btw. I didn't need the rear seat since the old lady rides my 99 RK when we travel. and we hid the aircan that usually sits underneath the trunk plate under the bat box. 6'2" 265 34 inseam. may not work for you but did for me. would post pics but in FOB Warrior in Iraq at the moment and don't have any current with me..

Oh by the way if you choose to go this route find someone like i did the hardare and seat from HD are about 1500.00 at least that was the quote i got at the dealer.. good luck....................

Flash

Last edited:
Wow you paid about $500 too much, I jusy sold my set up for $120 the same price I paid for it off Craigslist. The police looks nice on police bikes but I would still would rather have the Russell for the civillian. Although the Police solo seat is super comfortable.

You see the complete police solo assy on Ebay as well as Craigslist a lot. For anyone thinking about one remember that the 08> seat is different from the 07< set up. The biggest difference I saw was the way the seat mounted to the frame. The 07< seats mounted w/4 bolts and the 08> mounted with two.

The seats themselves look to be the same, I believe I read somwhere that the air ram was updated or possibly the air cannister, but the 08 cannister looked the same to me. The only way to know is to get the civillian and police parts books and check.

Also those little air bladders are very expensive new from HD so if you see one priced right grab it. The 08 ABS models looked like if you removed the mounting brackets from the air cannister you could fit in under the right side cover below the ABS valve assy. It looked to have a lot of room there.

Thanks

i went a different way than most (no big surprise there) :) I found a guy with a police special that was getting a Corbin heated seat and paid him 600.00 for the air system, seat, and console hardware. Moved me back about 2 to 3 inches and really comfy as it totaly adjustable with the air ride. That was on my 2008 FLHT btw. I didn't need the rear seat since the old lady rides my 99 RK when we travel. and we hid the aircan that usually sits underneath the trunk plate under the bat box. 6'2" 265 34 inseam. may not work for you but did for me. would post pics but in FOB Warrior in Iraq at the moment and don't have any current with me..

Oh by the way if you choose to go this route find someone like i did the hardare and seat from HD are about 1500.00 at least that was the quote i got at the dealer.. good luck....................

Flash

I have an 07 FLHX. I put a Mustang Seat with an adjustable back rest. I love the fit for my wide butt. It is great for the 200 mile day ride but if I am going to ride longer than that I put my airhawk on it. I did a 2 wk 5700 mi trip this summer, I would have never made it without the airhawk. PS I,m 6' with 250lb with 31" inseam.

Escorial - just adding my 2 cents....I have a Heritage so I may be way off but I am 6'0" and 300 pounds and my scoot has the Mustang seat with rider backrest and I absolutely love it. I can go for an entire gas tank before the buns start getting numb. So I guess I vote Mustang.....

Later,
2002SilverSurfer

Thanks,
But the way you sit on the Heritage may be different. I have tried the Mustang in the past on a Road King, the seat moved me up higher and closer which was not good for me.

Although it might help if the bars are too far away from me on the Street Glide. I will not know till the bike get delivered in a few weeks.......

John

Escorial - just adding my 2 cents....I have a Heritage so I may be way off but I am 6'0" and 300 pounds and my scoot has the Mustang seat with rider backrest and I absolutely love it. I can go for an entire gas tank before the buns start getting numb. So I guess I vote Mustang.....

Later,
2002SilverSurfer

Back