free website stats program 07 Ultra Will Not Start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

07 Ultra Will Not Start

Thanks Glider,
I tried that last night.

Doug_09Ultra was right, I tapped the starter a few times with a rubber mallet and she fired right up. I thought of that last night but did not want to hit this thing quite yet. Hopefully that will be the only gremlin for now. Thanks for the help. This forum looks like it will be quite helpfull and it seems to be a good group of people so far.

Glad you got it going, but check the connection on the starter to make sure it is tight, and that the ground on the starter mounting bolt is also tight. If you have the time, it might be worth taking these off, cleaning with wire brush, and reinstalling.

TQ

Glad you got it going, but check the connection on the starter to make sure it is tight, and that the ground on the starter mounting bolt is also tight. If you have the time, it might be worth taking these off, cleaning with wire brush, and reinstalling.

TQ

I did all of that before even giving the starter a few taps. It has been starting fine since Friday morning. I am a bit leary of it happening somewhere else besides home so I will look into this further. Do not want to be stranded anywhere.

Actually the "rap" with a rubber mallet works, but the real question then is "will it happen again"? Likely the problem is the heavy copper solenoid contact "washer" has a "burnt weld sprue" holding the solenoid engaged (open ckt).

This is due to it not rotating freely so different area contacts each time you engage the starter...your tapping freed the stuck solenod back to the relaxed position allowing you to start ckt as normal. At some point down the road, you will likely have to take it apart starter/solenoid, inspect and service it, but hopefully your tapping it moved it enough that it rotates more freely to a different spot.

Concidering it's an '07 will there not be some kind of dealer warranty?
Let them put a new starter on it. You can expect this to happen again I.M.O.

Back