free website stats program 06 RKC charging sys please read | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

06 RKC charging sys please read

Oh it's the ol ladies bike and actually we have 4

Wow, you got pretty good odds with 4 bikes...lucky guy! :newsmile030:

Oh yeah, would not hurt to load test the battery, you may have a weak or shorted cell that could cause the battery to discharge internally...! May not show up as the float charge from your charging system is driving the surface charge voltage up to mask it, but if you leave the bike alone, that self discharge will take the battery down in a few days. :small3d007:

BTW, for a newbie NWKibbles is pretty observant...for his first post...welcome to the HDT forum and making such a good impression with our leader! :pelao

Last edited:
Oh yeah, would not hurt to load test the battery, you may have a weak or shorted cell that could cause the battery to discharge internally...! May not show up as the float charge from your charging system is driving the surface charge voltage up to mask it, but if you leave the bike alone, that self discharge will take the battery down in a few days. :small3d007:

In my first post I said that I had my guy check the charging system after the light came on and he said it was OK and put a new battery on. The other thing is it took 4 days and over 1000k for the bike to die and the other thing is we came accross the boarder 50k earlier and we probably had to start the bikes 4 or 5 times so thats why it's not straight forward.

Anyway last night I checked all the cables and did the stator tests and at the same time realized the was no ground continuity between the regulator and the bikes frame so I took the reg off and cleaned it up and reinstalled it so maybe that will do it. Oh can anyone explain how to test the reg using a DVM?

so I took the reg off and cleaned it up and reinstalled it so maybe that will do it.

If it does fix it you have another problem.
The regulator case (heat sink) does not have to be grounded in order for the charging system to work properly. The ground or negative return path is performed through a wire that plugs into the regulator.

Yes you can ground the case. But it will only be a redundant connection. If by chance you were to ground the case and now the charging system works as expected, it tells you the grounding wire is not connected or attached and must be repaired. Never rely solely on "case ground" to perform the return path for the charging current.

Same thing happened to me. Bought a new battery and the lights still came on. I had to change the voltage regulator on mine.

Back