free website stats program 06 dyna Rotor-Stator | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

06 dyna Rotor-Stator

Not your stator, it is the rotor that may be the two piece bolted, or welded. Have to dissassemble to check unless you have any sort of paper trail on a previous mod. that would show changing.

TQ

Thanks for the clarification, saludos !

Correct bolted rotor. If the rotor threw it's bolts your stator isn't 2 piece either.... it's 100.

Both will have to be replaced.

I did a 300 mile ride from Dallas to the west side of Possum Kingdom Lake two weeks ago and was doing 70 on Stemmons Frwy when I heard a loud clank and about 20 seconds later another loud clank. I started looking and checking for oil etc or any obvious problems and didn't see anything..my engine continued running however noticed my indicator lights for the engine, oil etc were on so took the first exit and parked it. Shut it off for a few minutes, checked it over and didn't see anything, turned it back on, and no indicator lights...so started her up and she sounded fine. I was about 5 miles from a mc shop so decided to try and ride it over. I rode her about 20 to 30 ft and heard another clank so shut her down and called a friend to tow. She's well maintained with 17,500 miles. Just discovered the problem is the stator/rotors and glad to see the post here. The bolts on the rotor trashed my stator so now I get to replace both. I plan to call Milwaukee Monday to discuss since it's obvious this should probably be a recall due to so many others having similar problems. I checked with a local Harley dealer for any additional recalls other than the 3 so far on this model and nothing added. Anyone have any advice or updates on this? I think Harley needs to be picking up the tab.

I plan to call Milwaukee Monday to discuss since it's obvious this should probably be a recall due to so many others having similar problems. I checked with a local Harley dealer for any additional recalls other than the 3 so far on this model and nothing added. Anyone have any advice or updates on this? I think Harley needs to be picking up the tab.

I would love to see a recall. However most, if not all, recalls are SAFETY related. I don't think there is a valid argument that could be made that this part malfunction is a danger to the rider. Badly designed and reliable yes, safety no.

I doubt a recall is imminent. Maybe your HD dealer will split the cost with you. That is if you are a good customer, buy your bikes, parts, service... there.
I bought both my Harley's privately, I service them myself, and I hunt for the best price on parts anywhere. My customer loyalty to a certain dealer is low and I would not expect a "deal" on this repair. That's the price of being a DIY'er.

I've been giving lots of thought to this issue, since I have not been able to ride my for three months now, in any case I was in bed sleeping and the it suddenly hit me.. I did hear two clanks one after the other, perhaps with one minute of difference, at the time I thought I was some metal pieces from the bridge I was clossing, but it must have been the clanks cdn-bigfoot mentioned a few posts ago. Now I have clearer picture of the problem, thanks again man.

Mine went last week. Bill came to $850. Nice design HD!

Not trying to be personal, but i would love to see the break down of that bill
just to see what parts vs labor is and how much damage in parts could be avoided..

Hoop!

I will break it down when I have it in my hand. He said the kit alone was $550 for parts with stator and regulator. Fried the battery also for in the neighborhood of $100. Add labor and $$ to trailer the bike. It all adds up quickly. Sfety or no safety, a faulty design should be recalled and replaced. I have had many on cars. What are they thinking! They wouldn't have changed the design if they didn't feel that it was flawed.

Yes your right, it does add up fast $ wise. I would be sure to get the old regulator back from the service dealer. If your doing this work because the rotor (magnet) came loose and tore up the stator, there is a good chance the old regulator is still good and it would be nice to have it as a spare down the road for testing purposes. The new parts they installed are not exchange rebuilt so you own the old ones.

Actually with labor,towing, primary gaskets, primary oil, stator, regulator, rotor, tax and a new battery, you did not do too bad. I would have guessed even more.

Hoop!

HD Dealer quoted me $850 cdn ($800 US) for just the parts on the rotor and stator. I got an independent shop to install the HD parts for $1050. Only really cost me $200 for labour. The independent showed me HD parts cost of $550 and $500 labour. How did they get the HD parts for a lot less than the $850 I was quoted by HD. Parts costs are absolutely ridiculous from the dealers!

Back