free website stats program '05 Road King Custom throttle cable replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

'05 Road King Custom throttle cable replacement

I want to replace my throttle cables with stainless steel cables and I know that I have to Remove the tank to replace the cables. My only worry is high pressure in the gas lines and the speedometer panel on the tank. Any self-help instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Just remove the fuel pump fuse and then crank the engine, end of the high pressure. As far as the dash, that's easily removed with the bolts and you can lay it aside without disconnecting everything. Use a few towels for protecting things.

I just replaced the throttle cable on my Road Glide.Removing the tank made the job easier.While you have the tank off,you can clean those hard to reach places.

Anyone know how to adjust the stock throttle cable? I have cruise control on my bike (2005 RK) and there is just alot of slop in the cable.

I'm not sure if it works the same as my 99 RK for the cruise control . If you expose the adjusting nuts by sliding down the rubber boot near the throttle you can take up slack there and then tighten up the lock nut when you are done. Found this out when I replaced my grips this week. Gliders suggestion to loosen idle and throttle nuts made the job simple.

sanec1 I will give that a try I was sort of skeptical with adjusting these but as long as I don't make it too tight I am sure I will be fine.

I'd like to replace mine too. My stock cable almost catches on the gas cap. Does you new cable take the same route as your stock cable?

Can anyone tell me how to remove the throttle cables from the handlebar switch block (2007 Road King Classic). There is a tiny circlip that holds the throttle wire right angle bend tubes into the throttle grip housing. The circlips are too small to remove with normal pliers. Do these circlips just pry out or is there some special tool I need? Any advice much appreciated.:52:

Can anyone tell me how to remove the throttle cables from the handlebar switch block (2007 Road King Classic). There is a tiny circlip that holds the throttle wire right angle bend tubes into the throttle grip housing. The circlips are too small to remove with normal pliers. Do these circlips just pry out or is there some special tool I need? Any advice much appreciated.:52:

I use my smallest jewlers screwdriver (eyeglass kit works also) to pry them up. They are frustratingly small, in a tight area. If you bend one open too much, you can squeeze it closed again with pliers.

Back