free website stats program 04 FXDLI very slow transmission oil leak | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

04 FXDLI very slow transmission oil leak

Update 9/5/2011: Changed the tranny vent tube as recommended and brought it out on the right side of the bike behind the tranny. Still leaked. Road it on about 75-80 mile trip and the leak seemed worse but I still did not have to add oil to the tranny. Brought it Battlefield HD in Gettysburg PA a few days ago. They called me today (yep, poor guys working on labor day) and told me it was a leaking shifter shaft seal on the tranny. Primary needs to come out etc. etc. They quoted me around $350.00, not sure if that is good or bad but yanking the primary sounds like a lot of work and it would take me much longer to do being unfamiliar with the job. They said it would take them about 4 hours. I have to travel this week so I won't have her back until Friday.

I've never had to replace any seals anywhere on the 6 previous bikes I owned (all rice burners) and few of them were long in the tooth when I got them but I guess this is the life of owning a Harley... Not sure I like it much, but I have fallen in love with the bike, love ridin' the big twin and am proud to own a bike made in the US of A so I guess I'll hang in there.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

RC

They called me today (yep, poor guys working on labor day) and told me it was a leaking shifter shaft seal on the tranny. Primary needs to come out etc. etc. They quoted me around $350.00, not sure if that is good or bad but yanking the primary sounds like a lot of work and it would take me much longer to do being unfamiliar with the job. They said it would take them about 4 hours. I have to travel this week so I won't have her back until Friday.

Check this out:

oil leak - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Back