free website stats program 03 Ultra engine missing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

03 Ultra engine missing

Fuel rail pressure test is next. Requires a special set-up that will go in-line with the fuel line and tank, at the quick disconnect. Do not flex that section of fuel line. It is not designed for much bending. If it is not intermittent, take it to a dealer, or reputable indy for the test only. It will cost you the minimum hour labor, unless you have a gracious service provider. Pin holes in innner fuel lines are so common, I would be very surprised that the dealer would not have one in stock.

HD won't sell you the set-up. Some have built their own. I have an indy around the corner from me that will do a test for a few bucks. You might get lucky too.

Sorry. No way around the fuel pressure test, if you want to know for sure. refer to above posts, depending upon pressure test results.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Finally back at it after a few days away. Based on a recommendation from someone that had the same symptoms, I replaced the pigtails (terminals) to the fuel injectors. The engine is noticeably better, but it's still missing and an irritant to ride to say the least. Here's a rundown on the current symptoms in case this sparks an idea:

- Starts faster than before changing the pigtails
- No misses for about the first 1-2 minutes of running, then intermittent with frequency increasing after about 8-10 mintues
- Noticeably reduced power while accelerating, the bike has become pretty gutless
- It does NOT miss during acceleration and far less frequently at higher power settings - ie smooth but reduced power
- Misses more frequently at lower throttle settings, regardless of RPM, ie going to idle while driving at 45 mph and not squeezing the clutch the bike will miss more than while at cruise.

I'll work on getting the fuel rail pressure test. The HD folks don't have room before Aug 2nd, but I'll check with the independent folks.

Thanks again,
Marcus

- Starts faster than before changing the pigtails
- No misses for about the first 1-2 minutes of running, then intermittent with frequency increasing after about 8-10 mintues

I'll work on getting the fuel rail pressure test. The HD folks don't have room before Aug 2nd, but I'll check with the independent folks.

Thanks again,
Marcus

Check your engine temp sensor...

Harley Davidson Community

What Modifications on the bike.... Stage One by chance... Do you use a fueler? TFI or Gen3 is my recommendation for a little More fuel.. HDT Members discount of 50$ and free shipping.:newsmile093: IF this is the Problem with Fuel...

signed....BUBBIE

had an 02 flhr that was missing it had an injector wire that had stretched and broke you may check those it would happen intermittently. just a thought.

Just changed the exhaust seals just in case and also the temperature sensor. No change ???!!!!! Already changed the wires to the fuel injectors.

not much left on the bike I haven't dealt with.

Thanks

Just changed the exhaust seals just in case and also the temperature sensor. No change ???!!!!! Already changed the wires to the fuel injectors.

not much left on the bike I haven't dealt with.

Thanks
Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt.

Good luck,
Rich P

check for broken wires to the throttle position sensor, I had the same problem for months and that's what it was one of the wires was severed inside the insulation right where the wire entered the connector to the TPS.

I'll check the Throttle Position sensor wires next.

New symptom, I just checked the plugs and they are both black. This was a bit of a surprise as when I replaced the plugs at the start of all this the originals looked pretty good.

Thanks always,
Marcus

Check inside of pipes for additional hints, and report back. Dry black dust pretty much normal. Excessive? Rich or spark problem. Wet/oily? Cause for frowning.

Dry black plugs leads me to spark, rather than fuel. Carbonized leakage path(s) on outside of plug wire tower(s) on coil, plug wire(s), bad coil, being possibilities.

A map sensor that is sticking (or simulating a sticking), giving a false indication of high load...that MAP sensor again.

Fuel pressure regulator that is not spilling off excess fuel pressure.

Wet black plugs likely oil fouling...check inside of airbox for excessive oil presence coming from jugs (problem with oil pump alignment or overfull oil tank, etc.), oil blow-by, etc.

Not comprehensive, just what comes to mind for me before my coffee...

Good luck,
Rich P

Back